B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Common problems + repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I had a question about coils failing. What brand do all of you use to replace? OEM? Is there an OEM+ brand? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by mafrank83
I had a question about coils failing. What brand do all of you use to replace? OEM? Is there an OEM+ brand? Thanks for the help.
Ignition coils, or suspension coils?

If you want the good ignition coils buy the bolt down conversions from ECS tuning. Not the push down Bremi coils that suck.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

I did mean ignition coils. Sorry about that. Thanks for the help with this.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Charging problems. I have had two cars this week one 02" A4 and a A6 that have had bad positive battery cables. Alternator is charging but the current will not make it back to the battery if under a heavy electrical load. Cables...$225 wholesale cost....

Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM

Any ideas as to why my radio sound will cut out from time to time in all modes radio,
cd, and tape? This problem started a couple of weeks ago and has gotten worse. Also the radio reception is very poor I can usaully only get in the most local station. HELP Please!!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by krisafd421
Any ideas as to why my radio sound will cut out from time to time in all modes radio,
cd, and tape? This problem started a couple of weeks ago and has gotten worse. Also the radio reception is very poor I can usaully only get in the most local station. HELP Please!!
Needs a new radio unit, you can get a re-manned unit from audi for about $300, they will also hit you with a core charge if you don't bring your old radio with you, but you will get that re-funded when you bring your old unit.

Last edited by auditech79; 07-15-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Default Engine Trouble Help!!!!

I have a 2003 A4 3.0 Q with 98K miles. I went and put fuel in the car today and then about an hour later I was coming back home stopped at a light, all of a sudden the car started shaking and the check engine light started flashing. Got the car back to the house, popped the hood and noticed that the engine is shaking more that usual. Drove the car around the area, acceleration is now a little sluggish. Kinda putters a bit before feeling normal again. The tach still rests at normal idle position. Do I have a serious problem or could it be just bad gas?

One person I asked said something about a bad coil pack?

Also, I just got back from Auto Zone and had them pull the codes from the computer. I got code P0441 VAP system incorrect purge flow, blocked vapor canister. Probable Causes Faulty vent solenoid, Faulty purge solenoid, Faulty fuel tank pressure sensor. P0421 Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold- bank 1, Air leak before cat converter. Probable causes, Rich Air/Fuel ratio, Faulty Cat Converter.

I looked in the Audi manual as well and it says that if the check engine light comes on and starts blinking the way it is now that it's a faulty cat converter. Also the person that checked the computer said that cylinders 2 and 5 are misfiring.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Default 02 Chameleon Audi

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and new to Audi's altogether. I was in love with my e36 BMW M3 until an accident took it away.

Last September I pushed myself into getting an 02 Audi A4 1.8t after the test drive and loving everything it had to offer. Within the first two weeks the thermostat had to be replaced and actually broke down after the coils went.

I went all Winter with no problems, in fact I had a blast, the quattro was amazing, the ride was fantastic. It all started when warm weather hit. I was driving from a stop light when all of the sudden around 20 mph I lost all power to the wheels. I stopped and put it in park (auto w. tiptronic...first auto I've ever owned.) and it drove away fine, but I noticed it was sluggish. All service was up to date and I was at 79k. This problem was intermittent until recently. It still happens around 20 mph, the car is doggish now when it once was nimble and quick. Even at highway speeds of 65+ it will lose power and I have to take my foot off the gas and push again. Sometimes it doesn't do this at all and drives fantastic...but today on a rainy day, it drove horrible. I was told it was probably the EPC and the throttlebody.

I replaced the timing belt and all of the other parts comensurate with the replacement, just put a new air filter in and found out the car had the stock OEM air filter.....the woman before me took very little care of it. In prodding around I found black gunk in the turbo intake. I've done an injection cleaning, full scheduled maintenance, and oil changes with nothing but synthetic. I'm about to change the plugs....but what is causing this sudden doggish acceleration and the dip in power at 20 mph and sometimes 65+? I'm stumped.

I love the car, but if I can't figure it out I'll trade it in and get a different one altogether with a manual like I wanted in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated, I've already put 3k into the car and only had it for 9 months.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

^^^start a new thread about it, no one looks in here. This is just a sticky, im gonna lock this thread right now actually.