B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Convertible Soft top windshield latching issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Convertible Soft top windshield latching issues

Hi,

I have a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 convertible and I have an issue with my soft top.
Yesterday, I changed the rear shocks and had to keep the soft top opened half way to remove the shocks. After finishing the job my roof top will not latch to to the windshield, using the power button. It will however latch using the manual key. After latching it with the manual key, the computer still thinks that the roof is open and won't engage the alarm.
As far as opening goes, it's fine. The process will complete begining to end, even after manual latching. It will open the latches, retract the top, raise the end shield near the trunk, fold the top, while closing the latches, lower the shield and raise the windows.
It seems that the motor doesn't close the latches when it comes to the windshield.
Has anyone experienced this before?
Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

I am having this same exact problem. I can open my top fine. When I close the top, it does everything correctly except latch to the windshield. Did you ever get it working properly? Or does anyone else know a solution to the problem?

I have a 2003 Audi A4 3.0. I thought it may be the micro switch in the roof lining near the motor housing...I replaced it, but it is still doing the same. I bought the car at a good price. The top wasn't working at all...now it does the above. I also replaced the top roof position sensor and that helped to get it to this point, so I have this one last problem. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

No one has ever seen this?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Do a reset, by manually opening and closing the top. No handsfree operation but fully manual, with the key that u have by the fuse compartment.
See if that does it. If it doesn't than u need to do a reset to factory defaults using the vag com tool. If u dont have the vag com than I don't know how u'd be able to do this.
To get it reset you'd go to the electronics and than look for roof electronics in the vcds software. That will give you all the information. Go to coding and recode it to zero. Can't remember the number of zeros u have to enter but it'll tell u. Click save and you have just reset your roof electronics to factory defaults.
This did it for me.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Thanks..I have done a manual reset so many times it is crazy...no luck. I have a VCDS Lite version but unregistered. I see the "recode" button, but I can't get to it on the auto roof module. Weird as it shows up on all the other modules I have looked at.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

TTT...anyone?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Hi, i had a problem with my roof latching and bought a replacment motor, craddle and arms with left and right latchs if anybody,s interested.
Works fine.
Mine had just come loose .

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

I have an Audi 2006 A4 Convertible. I am having some issues with the windshield latching units for the convertible top. After examining the latching mechanisms I discovered that two of the bolts have come loose and one of which fell out and is rolling around in the plastic covering of those latches. Does anyone know how to remove that plastic covering to access the latches because if I can gain access to the latches I can easily fix the problem. Someone PLEASE HELP!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rjwintemute
I have an Audi 2006 A4 Convertible. I am having some issues with the windshield latching units for the convertible top. After examining the latching mechanisms I discovered that two of the bolts have come loose and one of which fell out and is rolling around in the plastic covering of those latches. Does anyone know how to remove that plastic covering to access the latches because if I can gain access to the latches I can easily fix the problem. Someone PLEASE HELP!
It has been a while since I took that off and I sold my Audi recently, but I believe you have to take the rubber gasket off, then that will reveal roughly 6-8 screws that hold the cover in place. Peal the gasket back, remove the screws and cover...fix your problem and reverse the steps to put it back in place. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by m.c.
Hi, i had a problem with my roof latching and bought a replacment motor, craddle and arms with left and right latchs if anybody,s interested.
Works fine.
Mine had just come loose .
Where did you get the motor and arms from. Mine is whining but not operating the latches so i think a replacement is needed. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Convertible Soft top windshield latching issues