B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

daintake!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default daintake!!

concidering doing it since its cheap and rather effecive but is it really worth drilling wholes in your car? the thought of taking a power drill to my wheel well makes me cringe

Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't drill holes in your wheel well. I don't think that is the proper darintake method anyways. I believe you simply swiss cheese your airbox. The prefiltered air portion of course.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

really? because thats what ive been seeing on all the forums ... with talk abot water being sucked in through wheel wells and all ...
how exactally did you do yours?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

I'm not sure what model car you have so there may be differences in procedure. Mine's a b6 check my sig. Anyways after many moons researching the darintake before I did it, I did come across the posts and other info on drilling into the plastic splash sheild in the wheel well. It seems that the guys who really knew their **** disagreed with that method seems that there could be some high-pressure low-pressure conflicts for the turbo to operate properly i.e actually less power. On top of the fact that it literally throws every little piece of anything that is on the road into the air your car is sucking in. That seems about as good idea as spraying a sandblaster into the airbox. Air filters are not designed to seperate that amount of particulate out of the intake air and still function properly. I suppose it would get cleaned out of the filter element though once you hose it down with the water you'll be sure to soaking it with when it rains. Which will also eventually sooner than later I'm sure remove any oil which your filter is supposed to be saturated with to attract and contain those nasty particulates. I simply removed my air box and the sound dampening material inside, Used a 1/2 inch spade bit and swiss-cheesed the pre-filtered portion of the air box. I do think that throttle response was ever so slightly increased and sounded was slightly louder however I swear after 80mph the performance has decreased. I'd research it some more before I do it if I were you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
4th Gear

if u have a b6 and u plan on drilling in the wheelwell plan on going through some metal. That was the only problem ive heard of with that mod. U might get sum rust and **** up in there but there shouldnt be any water in the filter or debri. Some guys on zine have had the darintake in there cars for months and had no problem with water or anything and have even driven through snow, so there shouldnt be to much worries. If u are worried about water in ur filter ive seen guys make a small screen to allow airflow from the wheelwells without any water going in, even sprayin it with a hose. ive also seen only once someone cut out a square in there wheelwell the size of a k&N and seal it in the cutout. Then they make there own intake from a cone filter and pipes from h omedepot.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

They notice any real gain besides sound?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Also, on my car the air box is already breathing into the pocket between the wheel well and the splash sheild so I saw no benefit of adding more holes to anything but the plastic, easily replaceable air-box. Cold air doesn't mean a thing if its going to travel across red hot turbo before entering the rest of the intake system. Right?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Intakes are a waste of money. Unless you have the money get the Carbonio which looks good and is effective. With other intakes all your getting is that swoosh out of it, possibly losing power. If you want to modify the stock airbox, just get a K&N drop in and remove the screen or mesh at the bottom of the airbox.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
4th Gear

no power increase just the sound with what any CAI, K&N drop filter , carbonio is probably the only one that might get u like 5 or 7 increase in hp but its pricey for such a small gain. Mightwell chip ur car and get a drop k&n if u gunna spend that much