B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Do you have to add oil every now and then?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
SrK
1st Gear
Default Do you have to add oil every now and then?

hi all, about every 2000miles my min oil level light comes on and I add about half a quart of oil and it is fine after that and I change oil/filter every 3-4K miles.

What confuses me is that after adding half quart the dipstick shows ok oil level and I didn't think that half quart should triger a min oil level warning...

Is this normal or do I have to worry about something. Is there anything I should check?

I have 122K miles on the 1.8T and I am not driving it hard...

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 AM

well, make sure you do not have a leak ( gasket? oil pan?)
its always helpful to start the car for a few seconds after you add oil, then turn off lets it sit a few seconds so the oil drains and check the level then.
good luck

Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 AM

If you are regularly checking your oil, and find a need to add it, you should. Not to keep it on the "high side" but to keep it in range.

If you find ourself doing that often, you might want to check why. From what you say, I'd really look into it. Honestly, with as much as you say you are using and having the light come on, I'd take it to a good mechanic or dealership.

What you can tell, MAYBE, on your own, without any skills, is... does it ever blow blue smoke when you get on it or start it up? (have someone follow you while you drive). That could be serious, expensive, like rings. Or, is it dripping when you are parked, that MIGHT be easy/cheap as a leaky gasket, or nasty as in a cracked something...

Some older cars just use a little, leak a little, have rings seep a little, and you just keep it topped off and leave it be. But that would be a 75 Chevy pickup or something you don't want to put money into. For a 2002 1.8T to need oil often, you need to get it fixed, you need to take it seriously.

Last edited by badlandz; 03-02-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: I spelled BLUE as BLEW.... Doh@!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
SrK
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. It might be time to go under the car again...

I will write back if I find anything.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SrK
hi all, about every 2000miles my min oil level light comes on and I add about half a quart of oil and it is fine after that and I change oil/filter every 3-4K miles.

What confuses me is that after adding half quart the dipstick shows ok oil level and I didn't think that half quart should triger a min oil level warning...

Is this normal or do I have to worry about something. Is there anything I should check?

I have 122K miles on the 1.8T and I am not driving it hard...
Yes, that is not normal. half quart should not trigger the low oil warning light. I think you have oil pressure problem. Need to check ASAP

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

that seems like you're adding more oil than should be needed. I know I have a small valve cover leak (have the gasket, but haven't had time to replace it) and when it comes time to change my oil, about 5,000 miles, I'm only about a half quart low.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

what kind of oil do you use? my friend used regular oil once and his did the same, but when he switched to synthetic oil it has never done it since then.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Myst420
that seems like you're adding more oil than should be needed. I know I have a small valve cover leak (have the gasket, but haven't had time to replace it) and when it comes time to change my oil, about 5,000 miles, I'm only about a half quart low.
5,000 miles really......... that is 2 to many in my book

even with syn the additives start to break down and don't really do what they are supposed to....... change that **** on the regular

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Guru

double post

Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
5,000 miles really......... that is 2 to many in my book

even with syn the additives start to break down and don't really do what they are supposed to....... change that **** on the regular
well, 5,000 is the most I will go. I try to get it changed at 4k, but sometimes I stretch it to 5k. But I can't see that being TOO bad being that most people say change synthetic every 6k and audi says to change the oil every 10k (even though there is no way in he|| I would go that long without changing the oil)