B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Doors freezing shut

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Doors freezing shut

Sounds great! I have a good bit of routine maintenance coming up and have done very little as far as working on cars goes and I also don't have a garage. I don't want to pay dealer prices so i wanted to find a local shop that was familiar with Audis . Also, I'd really like to learn how to do some of this stuff myself. I guess I can check out Rice's if that's what you recommend. I'll take any numbers you can give. Thanks!

What do you drive?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rradovitch

Sounds great! I have a good bit of routine maintenance coming up and have done very little as far as working on cars goes and I also don't have a garage. I don't want to pay dealer prices so i wanted to find a local shop that was familiar with Audis . Also, I'd really like to learn how to do some of this stuff myself. I guess I can check out Rice's if that's what you recommend. I'll take any numbers you can give. Thanks!

What do you drive?
Whats routine? Plugs, air filter, fuel filter, check fluids? Heck that I could show you and you would save a few bucks. R U at the 40,000 or 60,000 mark now? Rices is also a good shop and have their number at work (they don't have a web site). Also Rice handles many Audi, VW and BMW in the area. What I drive....I am very worried to post it...but I have a Passat. They are all the same and working on each is the same as well. I am paid off in May and want an A4 bad...just always loved them growing up.

If its the stuff above work wise, they are not hard at all. I will grab the number tomorrow and post it, but if you want to learn something...There is always Sat (not this one coming up I am already helping in a GTG).

Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Here you go (724) 941-6110

Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

that **** happens to me all the time. Columbus gets pretty frosty and yes my god damn doors get stuck all the time. Even the windows get stuck which is pretty annoying. Ya I worry about breaking a handle also. So annoying!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking about this...did you ever armor all the door gasket and grease the door locks?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

No I haven't but I may tray that. It seems like a design/drainage flaw as that entire area gets really wet and then freezes. I don't have any trouble with the locks, only the door jam/scuff plate area getting frozen to the bottom of the door molding and the bottom side of the slot storage area on the door.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rradovitch

No I haven't but I may tray that. It seems like a design/drainage flaw as that entire area gets really wet and then freezes. I don't have any trouble with the locks, only the door jam/scuff plate area getting frozen to the bottom of the door molding and the bottom side of the slot storage area on the door.
That means its working and no leaking on the TCU (if you have an auto) I can't say 100% but you should have nipples in the door way...that you should either cut open or pinch them every now and then.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Yup, mine freezes in the exact same spot. There are two door seals, it looks like some water gets between the inner and outer seals, flows to the bottom of the door and freezes like a soab.
I was wondering if there's supposed to be a drainage channel like Pson is saying, does anybody know?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Take a look...it will be in between the two door mounts...right under the top one. It will look like its off...like a 45 degree angle. I know they are on VW...just not audi...but I don't see why not

ORIGINAL: tsd02

Yup, mine freezes in the exact same spot. There are two door seals, it looks like some water gets between the inner and outer seals, flows to the bottom of the door and freezes like a soab.
I was wondering if there's supposed to be a drainage channel like Pson is saying, does anybody know?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

crap.... this just happened to mine too!! i also dont get where this water comes from to freeze up the door from opening. in the summer time, i did notice that there were water on the scuff plate area after washing the car even after a few days ago and thought nothing of it. but now i had to tug very hard on the door handle to open it, i was ssooo afraid i was gonna break it off. that or tear off the seals at the bottom of the door!

any quick fix solution for this?