B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC Madness...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default EPC Madness...

Good evening Forum members,

I bought a pre owned Audi A4 1.8t CVT a few months ago and only put 800 miles on it. It now has around 94k.

I started to experience a problem about a month and a half ago. I was waiting at a red light. As I accelerated after the light turned green, the car just shut off. I put the car in park and was able to start the car while stomping on the gas pedal after two tries.

This would happen to me at red lights, pulling out of parking lots, and other low rpm situations. I can almost feel a little nudge when accelerating after red lights and the car will shut off. When I am able to get the car turned on again, the EPC light pops up.

When I turn the car off and on after my drive, the light disappears, but this same problem occurs later down the line at random times.

When this happened to me again today at an Auto Zone parking lot, a mechanic came up, and tried to help me diagnose the issue. He suggested that it might be the fuel pump after he listened to me try to start the car up. I had to wait 30 min before I was able to have the car running again.
When I was driving back to my garage, this happened again, and was able to start the car in two tries.

I don’t know if this information is helpful, but I always try to drive on a full tank of 93-octane gas. This usually does occur on a full tank.

Can anyone help me to diagnose this problem? Has anyone had a similar problem that they were able to fix? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction for this fix.

I guess the two front-runners are either the fuel pump or the engine speed sensor.

Thank you all in advance