B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

ESP Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Default ESP Button

I have a 2003 A4 with apx. 60,000 miles. I drive in sometimes hilly conditions with wet surfaces from rain and snow. Over the past month, about five times my ESP dash warning light has illuminated during a drive. Not flashing, but comes on solid. After I turn the car off and the next time I go to restart it's been cleared and doesn't come on again right away, often not illuminating again until after another week's worth of driving.

The manual doesn't offer much up on this other than that could be some type of issues. How concerned should I be? What could the problem be with the system?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Under what conditions does it first illuminate?

This sounds stupid, but have you tried pressing the ESP button while it is illuminated to turn it off?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Could be ABS wheel sensor fault, mine used to do it on a back wheel when it was wet. Replaced and all fine.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM

It's illuminated during rainy conditions mostly, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have never had the issue before. I did try pressing the actual EPS button, but that just turns it on/off and illuminates it the entire time it is in off mode.

The ABS wheel sensor could be it. Please excuse my pedestrian knowledge of cars, but is this a must-fix-now type of thing or could it hold off for a bit? I love my Audi but as you all have experienced I am sure, really feel entitled to claim it on my taxes this year!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM

This will sound stupid...... BUT it could be your MAF... Mine went bad cuz I tried cleaning it and some how messed it up.. But my esp light stayed on on my dash. I heard from my audi tech friend that it was cuz the MAF is tied in witht the ESP (dont remember the details). Im not saying go buy a new MAF for $250 but its something to look into.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 PM

I've noticed the same thing with my car - 2004 1.8T with 84K. The ESP light has come on (solid light, not flashing) about 5 times in the last 2 months or so, usually when it was wet/cold/snowy. Hitting the ESP button did not turn it off. only way to get rid of it was to turn off the car - and turn it back on.

I'm due for my 85k service in a few weeks; possibly next week. I'm going to ask them to check it out for me. I'll let you know what they say....But, yeah, its been happening to me for a few months now, and doesn't seem to be a major must-fix-now problem (knock on woood)...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your replies. Please do report back after your checkup; I'm curious to see if we're encountering the same issue. And yes, knock on wood, hopeful not to be major.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

It being on is just telling you that the ESP is turned off, so if you dont really need it right now you dont need to fix it right away.

If you cant turn it off with the button it is most likely the MAF. Usually you will get a Brake light warning too if it is an issue with the ABS sensor.