B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A few questions on coolant and the radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear
Default A few questions on coolant and the radio

I started my car this morning and the coolant light came on. I continued driving because i figured i would buy some while out. The light went off but i checked the coolant later and it was low. I havent bought any coolant yet but when i do i am expecting to leak. If any one has experience i noticed a couple other threads about this. Where should i expect a leak from when i fill it up?

Also my radio gets horrible reception. Is there a cheap fix for this or do i have to get the antenna in the back window replaced?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Also there is never any leaks underneath it but sometimes i do smell the slightest hint of antifreeze

Old 10-19-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Open your oil cap and (look around inside use flashlight possibly) for any foamy substance or possibly water beads. Pull your dipstick and check for waterbeading or foam. If not then it most likely is not leaking into engine oil(which may signify a possilble head or block issue). You say you see no leaks but you can occasioanally smell coolant. Look around your engine bay for dried coolant residue or any parts saturated with coolant. If you notice oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil get your car repaired by someone who is capable of handling it before you drive it. If the windsheild fogs or any windows fog with heat on and in the defrost mode (select the position that directs air to your windsheild) it could be your heater core. Other than that would need more info to help diagnose i.e. frequency and amount that vehicle is losing. What circumstances are when you smell the coolant overall a much more thorough diagnosis on your half. Hopefully this may help direct you. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM

If you're losing coolant, I can say with a good amount of certainty it's one of these three things in this order:

1) Coolant Temperature Sensor - has an O-ring that may have failed. $8 part and DIY.
2) Rear Coolant Flange - #1 actually sits in this part. It attaches to back of motor and the gasket between the two (flange and motor) is a COMMON failure. Odds are it is this. It's a PITA DIY but still a DIY. Part is cheap (got mine from genuineaudiparts)
3) Oil Cooler - it is a silver box (~ 4"x4"x1") heat exchanger near your oil filter that offloads oil heat to your coolant. There is a diaphragm in it that can fail and result in mixing oil and coolant. Typically the signs are as mentioned above. I doubt this is your issue.

I would search for a DIY on #1 and 2. That will show you the area of the engine you can reach back and feel around for stray coolant. It's basically at the back of the engine under the check valve. It's a tough fit for your hand but I think you'll find it.

Last edited by wolfdog; 10-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.