B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Getting Ready to Change Timing Belt - Question on Preferred Way to Gain Access

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Getting Ready to Change Timing Belt - Question on Preferred Way to Gain Access

I just bought a 2003 A4 with the 1.8T with 85k miles. The PO was an older guy who said he had the timing belt done by a private shop in his area. There was no service sticker in the engine bay, and I called around and couldn't find a shop that had record of the car. Needless to say, I need to assume that it wasn't done. I ordered the parts I need and I've been viewing videos online and reading forums on the job, which brings me to my question, which option below of gaining access to the timing belt is the preferred or better method?

Option 1
The DYI post on the T/B change on this forum recommends the more thorough process of gaining access by removing the headlights and swinging the carrier to one side. I also so a video online using this procedure too. On the con side, this method does seem rather tedious. The pro side is that it would allow the best access.

Option 2
I found another video online where the guy uses longer bolts on the top bolt hole of the carrier on each side to allow you to slide the carrier forward a few inches. This method allows you to avoid having to remove the headlights and it seems less tedious.
to the video so you can see how he gained access (seems easier).

I was able to find a "lock carrier tool/pin" set designed for option 2. What method do you all use? What's the better approach?

Old 04-18-2022, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I’m not sure about the 1.8. But I just did mine with 3.0. I used the long bumper bolts that go to the bumper shock and put them in the service tool holes and was able to slide it out far enough to perform the job without having to undo any hoses or wires except the headlights, fog light plug and the headlight washer hose.