B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Got my B6 A4 Avant - now the fun begins!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Got my B6 A4 Avant - now the fun begins!

Good day Audi Forums community: (this is my introduction, so it will be long, but I sincerely appreciate all knowledge, advice and experience, and look forward to sharing my own down the road)

I've followed the Audi Forum Sites for about two years now looking for a B6 A4 1.8T Avant Quattro. And, now I've got it. I just recently got 2002 A4 Avant Quattro (manual, I couldn't not) with almost 130k in what is the Sport/Ultrasport for 2002 (I don't believe they had a difference then, but just a "Sport" model). It has the brushed aluminum interior trim and red lowered stock suspension.

Now, the fun begins - I want to continually upgrade and maintain this car to be a fun and sporty daily driver. As of now, I'm not planning on tracking it and I know I've got maintenance costs, so I'm looking for a balance of comfort, power and control while balancing the budget. I plan to buy parts that are okay to buy used through the Audi Forums and new ones through recommended dealers. I plan on doing as much of the work as possible myself, with the assistance of friends with the knowhow, and then timing belt, clutch, etc. through trusted mechanic. I'm not looking for all the answers here, but direction. I got this car to enjoy the process of research and using my own hands and do have experience in construction, tools, and cars.

First off - yes the car has high miles, but I have had two separate trusted mechanics look at it (one that just did the timing belt service) and both were very impressed with the cleanliness of the car and engine. Plus, I would seriously consider replacing the engine down the road, when I have more moolah and if I have everything else tuned in how I like. Items I've been told need to be addressed are upper control arms and muffler. Below I outline my interests in improving and repairing the car and request that you feel free to address all, some, or one with any advice and assistance (including the order in which certain upgrades should be made, like when to install cold air intake and intercooler).

1) Suspension and handling - So I'm going to do the upper control arms myself and it was mentioned/recommended I address the suspension at the same time. 2002 Sport came with a pretty low stock suspension and I must admit, I haven't noticed problems with it. Am I crazy that 130k on the original sport suspension still performs admirably (or maybe it was replaced at some point)? The car recovers well and is not bouncy. While coilovers may be down the road, I'd rather spend money right now on improving horsepower and known issues I'll have to deal with in the next year or so (i.e. clutch, to sport clutch?). As such, I could get a used Ultrasport suspension for a couple hundred or just replace the control arms and wait on suspension till I'm ready to fund a full upgrade. I am looking for a B6 or B7 S4 stock suspension with less than 50k on it, if anyone wants to let me know.

That being said, I would like to decrease the body roll a bit. Could I achieve this through upgraded sway bars? Would be looking for an S4 or RS4 rear sway bar.

2) Horsepower - I'm not trying to hoon, but want a little more pickup out of the 1.8T (which I got for that very reason of being able to do). I'm upgrading to Billy Boat (B&B) stealth exhaust. And, of course, balance of performance to money spent? Planning to Chip in the next year, probably just APR stage 1.

Intercooler and cold air intake? What point should these go in?

Other horsepower improvement recommendations (prior to chip)?

3) I recognize that with greater horsepower, I'll need to upgrade items on the car to be safe and handle it. Brakes of course (or so I'm assuming) will be a must. Any recommendations? I would like to go with slotted Brembos or something, but haven't delved into that research yet.

Other upgrades to help the car be safe and handle more horsepower?

I'm also considering do a sport clutch and speed shifter when it's time. Opinions on this?

4) Appearance (with a little performance) - In the next year I want to add 17" or 18" wheels with a somewhat lower profile tire (and keep the 16" with snow tires). Feel free to discuss 17 versus 18 inch tires (from what I've read, while the 18s give slightly worse ride and a little more weight, the grip is good and you just can't beat the look). I know the 2002 Sport suspension is lower than later B6 and B7 sport suspensions, does anyone know if this will be an issue with 18s? Should I look into getting a slightly wider wheel as well? What other issues will I face with larger wheels?

I really like the overall look (hence getting a B6), but plan to change to an aftermarket lower front and rear bumper. I know the basics on fiberglass work, but will probably get a professional to do this. I like the ABT front lower bumper and will get a lower rear (ABT or Vector). I've found cheap FRP Poly (fiberglass) ABT knockoffs. Now, I know there will be fitment issues and they are potentially thinner. But they're so cheap and I'll have it professional installed. Anyone know if getting two cheap ones and binding them together to make one more solid lower bumper would work? Any reviews on Versus (VS) Motorsports body kits?

5) Current radio issues - My Symphony II goes in and out. It seems to go out more often the longer the drive (which makes me think Amp). I've done research and read check the wires and, then, it may be the Amp. I've found some wires in the driver door that were worn and taped them, but it's still occurring. Any opinions on this? Seems like I need a new drivers wiring harness, any tips on where to get a "more affordable one"?

Also, I got the radio keys, but they don't pull the radio out (there's scratch marks around the radio key inserts, which makes me think someone messed around with something other than the right keys and broke the releases. Any other way to get the radio out without taking apart the console?

That is all I can think of for now. Excited for more correspondence. Thank you, Forrest

Oh yeah, I currently live in San Diego, but will be moving back to the Carolina's later this year. I can get some pictures together later.