B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

high fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default high fuel consumption

Hi!
Got a prob whith my -04 A4 1.8Ts.
It takes a lot of fuel, about tvices as much as normal. it studders, the smoke is black. changed the MAF and the speed sensor.
my lokal dealer couldn't find any thing wrong using the diagnstic tools.
does anyone have a ide?

Macfly
Sweden
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: high fuel consumption

Black smoke usually indicates a bad seal somewhere, thereby letting contaminants into the combustion and exhaust process.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Black smoke indicates a fuel system problem normally... Too much fuel, not enough air to combust it... Check your spark plugs, coils, and air filter (as it may be clogged)... Could also be injector going bad or something wrong with the ECU (probably not tho). Are you chipped or stock?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

I got a BSR chipp installed, worked fine until 2 weeks ago, gona change filter and sparkplugs tomorrow. it sounds like it missfires toand when i checked the sparkplugs all 4 was covered in black deposits. after i got it back from the Audi dealer today it worked fine until it got warm.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
SoCal Crew Member

have you noticed any loss of power?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

[align=left]yes. bad response on the throttle.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Its possible that you have a boost leak

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Meaning?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Heres how the motor works... Air goes into intake, gets metered by MAF then sent to turbo in which it is compressed and charged. The air from the turbo then goes through the intercooler and up into the intake manifold where it is distributed to each cylinder then mixed with fuel to be combusted. Since you are getting black smoke, it means theres something wrong with the fuel or air system, cause its pumping more fuel and not enough air. My assumption is 2 things, #1 is filter might be clogged thus causing not enough airto go through the whole system. The 2nd assumption is that somewhere in your turbo/boost system there is a leak, thus causing it to loose alot of air/boost before getting to the intake manifold/cylinders. Have your dealer/mechnic check for those two issues. Don't forget to check the air filter, spark plugs and coilpacks... If they still cannot figure it out, my last resort would to check the catalytic converter and O2 sensors

Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the answers, gona check these things out tomorrow, i'l keep you updated.

Okey. I changed the sparkplugs, cleaned the airfilter, checked the compression. 1cyl 13,5 bar 2cyl 12bar 3cyl 14bar 4cyl 14bar. also pressurised the boost system with 12psi, no leaks but air went in to the engine and the oil made a gurgeling sound (normal?). could it be the fuel pressure sensor that give the engine to much fuel. what regulates the fuel amount? Like i said i got loss of power, takes extremely much fuel, runs uneven, black sparkpluggs, and black smoke comes out of the pipes.
This happens when the engine is warm, but it doesent run god coold eather.

After i got it back from the mechanic it ran well for 10 min, than it started all overagain.

[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: high fuel consumption