B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

I'm a newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default I'm a newb

Bought a 03 a4 1.8t Q/tip last Nov. Has 44k. Service lite came on so I did anoil change. Now going to forums and reading about the dreaded sludge........I may need to change againand start with a 50 mile drive with a little seafoam before the change? A little history about me: I spent 2 years in a tech school working on autos. That was 35 years ago. I'm not afaid to tear into them, but I also have better things to do. What if the oil lite comes on and there is engine damage, will Audi cover this? I just got a notice in the mail today, from Audi of Americaabout temp sensor replacement/recall rembersment. They must know that I own one.
I'll stop here...... I have about 3 posts going..........

Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: I'm a newb

IMHO if u've done all the oil changes at the Dealer they must cover all the sludge problems if they occur.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Let me start with one thing at a time. I'm second owner. Lease car. I believe it was Audi serviced (I hope)44k on the clock. I have always done my oil changes. The dash display indicated it was time for service. I changed oil with a 5-30 Hav. brand with a WIX filter that was smaller than the Audi one I took out. Any suggestions on kind of syn oiland weight to use? I'm 150 milesto the closest Audi shop. I can get Castrol, Mobile and if I had the Audi filter number I could cross for a WIX filter. Just need some imput on the kind of oil I should use. As far a maint. schedules from 10k to 5k.When Iwas in the profession it was every 2k using leaded fuel.Spark plugs were good for 10-12k. Enough for this post.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

I use Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic and buy filters from the Dealer, but i've heard Walmart sells them now too.
How do u know u have some sludge problems??? Do u see it???
Your computer is set to 10k miles (some cars 5k miles) intervalsto let u know that u need to service your car. Usually it is just an oil change, but it better to change oil every 3K. You can restart your computer on your own so that 10k interval starts again.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 PM

you should only use synthetic oil (5w30, 5w-40 or0w-40 ifyou live in a really cold area)and a large filter... Audi or it's Equivalent but large. It will take a lil more oil but its better in the long run. I've seen some sludgy engines and trust me you dont want that to happen to you. Seafoam should be used about 50 miles before you change your oil and not after. Dont drive it for more than that because it thins out the oil. With regular oil changes and synthetic you shouldnt have any problems... a4 44k you should still be under warranty so the next oil change interval which is 45k... why not have audi do it for you? It will be totally free and they can check for sludge issues.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

The nearest Audi dealer is 150 miles away. Am going to waste a day for an oil change? Nope. I did in a 1/2 hour and that was taking off the belly pan that I wasn't expecting to find. Not wanting to ask a dumb question, but what is the warranty on this vehicle? I've read on these forums just about everything. Is it 5/50 4/30. I've also heard that if I keep records of regular oil changes that I'm covered from oil problems? Do I think I have a sludge problem? Not without removing the valve cover to have a peek. I have looked through the oil cap and what I cansee of the valve train it looks ok. I need the Audi part number on the oil filter so I can cross ref it. I may change the oil again, just to get the "dino" oil out.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM

the warranty is 4years or 50,000 miles. You also get free scheduled maintenance for that period. Sure the dealer is 150 miles away, and you might lose your day but they will do a full inspection on the car. Brakes pads but not rotors are included along with this. If you think you need brakes soon, you might as wellgo get them for free.After that you're on your own. i have a 3.0 so not sure of the part number but you can get the oilfilter you need and alot of other oem products for your car from ecs tuning.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...mp;engine=1.8T

searching this forum will also help you alot. good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Well it's a '03, so warranty time is up. I didn't get this from an Audi dealer, just a used car lot. They prolly got it at the auction.
Does Audi keep record of maint. done on this car? I was told it had new brakes tires blah blah blah. Those I did look at and they wereok. After I had it a couple a weeks, I thought I'd check the cabin filter.........that hadn't been looked at since it came of the assembly line. Ditto the air filter. The air filter wasn't horrible but still it was the original. The cabin filter could not possibly let any air through it.
Well, me thinks I will find a large oil filter and 5 qts of Mobil 1.
THanks all

Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

Everything what was done at the Dealer should be recorded.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 AM

Just a tip... if you do all your own oil changes, and the nearest Audi dealer is 150 miles away, you can also buy the oil filter from you local VW dealer... the same oil filter will also fit a Passat.

Quick Reply: I'm a newb