B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Looking to buy a 03 A4 some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy a 03 A4 some questions..

Hey all like the title says I'm looking to buy an A4, never owned an Audi before and wondering what to expect. I had an E36 M3 for a few years and loved it, Bavarian is the way. Anyhow the car I'm looking at really caught my eye, black on black, all options; AWD, premium and sport package and only 48k; and stick with the 3.0. I did some reading on the turbo's and realized the 3.0 will suit me better. This is for my daily driver really; I don't plan on modding out out any, just exhaust and intake maybe. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 AM

3.0 is a great car, audi's are great in general. Since you have had a euro car before I'm sure your used to the high maintenance, and that's how it will be with the b6 a4. 3.0, however, does lack in modification possibilities. Exhaust? you will have to get a custom exhaust made to get the best sound your looking for, there aren't many options. Intake? several options, but not the best compared to other a4 models. Around 80k miles you might have to change the timing belt, etc. if lucky, 100k. Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

In my opinion the 3.0 is not going to compare to an m3.....but still audi's are great cars! IF your not thinking of modding much make sure you get a car that already has some.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the responses, I don't expect this to compare to an M3, I'm living in Colorado now and I'm looking for a good car to run around in. I don't want the run of the mill civic etc. I like the euro's for how solid they feel when driven. Oh and I forgot to mention the asking price is 16K. After looking up the value on it if I decide to offer around 13.5 or 14. thoughts on this? The seller wrote me back yesterday after I asked him about the maintenance on the car up to this point. He said that hes the second owner; and that he had all the records and didn't know off the top of his head what had been done. He said when he takes it into the shop he replaces what they tell him needs replacing. All which is fine, leads me to believe no major work has been done on it, he doesn't know that much about cars, or something big hes not saying. When I go to look at it I'll take it into the dealer to get it looked at just to make sure. The bummer about it is the factory warranty is expired Again thanks for the responses!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 PM

np. But hey it should still have an emissions warranty til like 60k or 80k i dont remember bcuz im way past that, but it will cover a few things if anything were to be wrong with any emission issues. 16K might be a little much. Regardless, you would always want to pay less then initially right? .
good luck.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ridefastdietryin
In my opinion the 3.0 is not going to compare to an m3.
but I think it does compare pretty fairly to the 330i, which is what it was meant to compete with i would guess

Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

The car is about an hour away and he's going to take it into the shop for me before I get there. Anything in particular I should ask him to have looked at..compression etc? I'm kinda torn actually since I just found out about the ultrasport, they look great, but all the ones i saw online are 1000 miles away! Anyhow I figure I could just get the GFX later on if I was really interested!

Last edited by nuba4; 07-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 AM
3rd Gear

check suspension components

Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

I have the same car and have been extremely happy with it. It now has 122,000 miles on it and I have had no problems. The fuel pump should have been replaced on recall - might want to check that it has. I think the 3.0L engine is very strong and wouldn't expect any problems with it at 48,000 miles. Timing belt is due at 105,000 on this engine.

Upper control arm bushings can wear, again I would be surprised if they were bad at this mileage.

If the car has been serviced according to the maintenance book, I would have no problem with it. Actually not much is required at the first 50,000 miles and service was complimentary for this year so I would be surprised if it wasn't done.

Excellent in snow and all weather conditions, assuming you are looking at a Quattro.

When I bought mine I looked at BMW, Acura, Mercedes, for the money, the A4 Quattro was much more car than any of them.

Mine still drives and looks like new.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

Just got back from taking it for a drive. First impressions: drives very solid, steering nice and tight, felt more or less like the first time I drove my old bimmer. Its got alot of buffons! Since this is my first Audi, I was a little confused with all display on the dash, and all the vent buttons. But can get used to it later. Car was in great shape minus a ding here or there. Some of the rims had some curb rash on them, not on the lip but the rim itself, any easy fix on this? And the Audi emblem on the trunk had been ganked off apparently, only the glue remained. Interior was flawless. He said the cat's had just been replaced because they were tripping the codes, and the clutch is 2 months old. We had some disagreements on the price, but He's going to look up the value again and email me back. I was showing 14.2 So i offered 14, he was looking for 16. Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 03 A4 some questions..