B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

misfires/long starts/rpm jumpy/car quivers/mpg`s low/etc.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Default misfires/long starts/rpm jumpy/car quivers/mpg`s low/etc.....

well lets start i have gotten 3 flashing cel from cold starts all random cylinders misfire and a system too lean code now most of you when you hear lean code yell vac leak checked twice with the dealer. No leak present turns out it was a REALLY clogged up fuel filter so that has been taken care of. then thought it was over haha no not with this car. car STILL has rpms idle wrong too high or as of lately as its getting worse seems to go too low and i feel like the rpms just might drop and die on me. car vibrates sometimes at idle as well. you know the mpg indicator? how it tells you how much mpg you get with the amount of pressure you put on the pedal. when your not pushing the pedal your suppose to have a --- which i use to have all the time now its half --- and half 9.5 or something as if im flooring it even though im just at a light the mpg jumps around mostly lower than it should be. now from my knowledge i thought it stays --- until you press the gas pedal then goes to 200.0 then 150ish and so on based on how hard your pushing for gas, now i start at 50ish mabye 9.0 when its REALLY bad and im not even moving. the car idles wrong alot more usually 300 mabye 200 more than it should be. also car jumps to 2000rpms on start then proceeds to idle wrong or when im lucky right.

also today i encounterd this i honestly dont know if this is normally???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9XdeSN9-c

now what im thinking is mabye spark plugs are done??
also what the dealer i got it from says that the recall for the coil packs had a software update if thats true? then i have not gotten it just new coilpacks

so anyone out there that can help please? i honestly look back and want to slap the salesperson that sold me this car

Last edited by Vezon; 04-29-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear

It seems to be the coil packs/ vaccuum leak... If the coils are less than a year old I wouldn't think they'd be at fault but if they're more than that change them... Here's a good write up on how to find a vaccuum leak: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-by-a4darkness

Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan1969
It seems to be the coil packs/ vaccuum leak... If the coils are less than a year old I wouldn't think they'd be at fault but if they're more than that change them... Here's a good write up on how to find a vaccuum leak: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-by-a4darkness
buttt theres no lean code at all? and the dealer verified that there wasnt any twice? is there any area on the 1.8t that has had a higher chance of vac leak that i should concentrate on becuase i guess i could have them look at it again..... and the coil packs are less than year mabye 5 months no more than that

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

Hmm, maybe one of your check valves started cracking... a breather hose or something...

Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan1969
Hmm, maybe one of your check valves started cracking... a breather hose or something...
yea i check the valves and i think they relativly new i have only had the car for 5000 miles and it seems like the previous owner got tired of putting new parts and left it half finished of sorts iv gotten the fuel filter done crank sensor (nightmare) sunroof fixed engine mounts coil packs on the recall. the dealer that i bought it from says that there was a "flash" for the computer and that i have to take it to audi to have them do it and the flashing cel is only on start up and the car shakes the only way i get through it is by turning the car on and off if it starts to misfires sometyimes it feels like only 2 are misfireing then all of them go car shakes and i dont wait for the cel to flash because i know it will second time around still there but getting a bitttt better then 3rd time were okay and mabye one of them are miisfiring couple of shakes here and there but when the car warms up its honestly fine. im thinking mabye the coils went bad? and if they did would they explain the whole rpm gauge going up to 2100 rpms on just start up (kinda ridiculous) and the whole i cant idle right every now and then?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE: also the car only does the misfires on start up and on a hot afternoon or anytime it is hot i am thinking its the spark plugs.

also...... its a cvt and the gears have not been changing as smooth and easily as it use to now il be going 60 and it is stuck in 4th gear when i switch to tiptronic and i force it up i cant accelerate as fast i almost have to baby it sometimes because the gears dont change im praying that once i get the fluid changed it will be ok, also does anyone know if aamco is good for cvt fluid flush and change there charging 189 with labor.the dealership is charging 250

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

could the icm be at fault?