AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   Is my fuel pump crap now??? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/my-fuel-pump-crap-now-175552/)

Amaxx00 10-29-2011 07:45 PM

Is my fuel pump crap now???

Car: 2004 Audi A4Q 3.0 with 106,000 miles.

a few days ago...I drove for about 10mins on the hwy and stopped at a store. Got out to start the car and car started but made a strange noise from the rear and then the car just stalled out.

The noise was creaky but not a bad fuel filter creak/buzz, because I just replaced that a few months ago. I have 1/3 tank fuel too.

Car cranks but sounds like the fuel is not getting to the engine. So I had the car towed home.

When I turn the key to the "acc" position, everything is normal but no sounds is coming from the pump. I used a multimeter at the pump and when I turned the key to the "acc" position, theres no voltage, but when I crank to start the car...I get 12volts. I checked the fuel pump fuse, and it's fine and there is no immobilizer light on either.

Is my fuel pump dead or is this a fuel pump relay issue.....or something else?

Please help! :(

pa4ul 10-31-2011 12:39 PM

i would check to see if u are getting any fuel pressure at the fuel rail. replacing the pump isnt very difficult though. Just gotta know how to twist it when pulling it out due to the odd way the made the pump. Hope that helps out.

Amaxx00 10-31-2011 02:56 PM

Is there a schrader(sp) valve anywhere on audis?? I can't seem to locate where to check the fuel pressure.

pa4ul 10-31-2011 06:12 PM

there should be a silver rail running on the passenger side of your engine if its the 1.8 motor. There is a black cap on the end. Iirc u unscrew that cap and press in on the rail. If it squirts out fuel it might not be ur pump. Also i had read that sometimes trying to prime u car a few times might get it to kick on. Turn you key on but not crank over the engine. Do that a few times and then try to start. I cant seem to find the article that had pics on it ill keep an eye open for u though.

Amaxx00 11-01-2011 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my engine is a 3.0

I can't find the valve.

Where is it located??..I only see one...but isn't that for the AC??

(please note the image is not my actual engine bay)

Attachment 31454

Amaxx00 11-01-2011 08:12 PM

I just read somewhere that the B6 audi a4 3.0s do not have a pressure relieve valve...theres a 4 bar static FPR back at the tank. Is that true?

If that's the case, would I need to remove the pump itself and apply direct voltage to see if it kicks in?

pa4ul 11-02-2011 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 31452 thats the fuel rail circled. Im honestly not to sure about the 3.0 engines? But at least check the back of the rails to see if there is a black cap on it. also i love the covers on the engine. did u take them to a shop to get sprayed?

Amaxx00 11-03-2011 01:02 AM

no, i couldn't find any cap or valve.

My relay = good
Fuse = good
Pump = I'm going to apply direct voltage and see if it works..

if it works..then I will test the crankshaft position sensor and change my plugs (since I'm due for a change)

sidenote: I wish those were my covers...I found the engine bay image through google. :D

pa4ul 11-03-2011 12:12 PM

aww damn well either way i might consider having my paint guy try that out. Looks nice.