B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

My new to me A4 B5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Question My new to me A4 B5!!!

Well, I pulled th trigger!!! I bought my first Audi! I bought a 2002 A4 Quattro 1.8Turbo. Between what the seller did and what I did, it should be good to go (I hope). New clutch and flywheel, new timing belt, hydrolic tentioner, water pump, pulley, roller, crank seal etc... Also new oil cooler, spark plugs, A/C compressor, sythetic oil change, cabin air filter, wiper blades, 4 new bulbs (of sorts), 4 new tires (Continental) and K&N on order. I'm sure some other things will pop up, but it needed some TLC now and before I would take it. Nice car, and pretty clean. I am pretty excited, but a bit leary as we had to do so much to it! I know it is a far more of a maintainance nightmare that my Lexus, but damn these little cars are fun to drive and I liked the car! I wasted half a weekend watching the mechanics work on it. It was actually worth the time. I found some things they didn't. Had I taken delivery without being there during repairs, I would have had to take it back for more work. There are a couple of things I have questions about.

1) I drove it up the mountain I live on tonight and gave it soeme juice around the corners. There was a red light that said "Brakes" and it was beeping. It was only when I was taking the corners hard. What is it?

2) The new clutch feels good but in some shifting situations there is some mild clucking when I let the clutch out. I thought maybe a motor mount popping back and fourth???

3) My radio will barely pick up any stations even in Atlanta or Chattanooga. Almost like an antenae issue. Anybody know?

4) When I did the timing belt, I also did the thermostat as well. When I got in tonight to drive it home the temp guage did not work. I need some help on this one. Sensor maybe???

I appreciate everyones help on my many issues.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear

1) could be just the brake sensor, it reacts to different loads or it could be letting you know that the abs is doing its job

2) not sure since I don't own a MT yet I'm sure there is also a breaking time for a new clutch/fw assembly. Give it a couple more days.

3) Audi's are infamous with stereo guys to have crappy reception on the most part. That's why we all have icelinks or satellite radio. Not much you can do bout this.

4) first the thermostat reads temps too high before it totally goes out... did it do this before or has it never measured any temp?

But most importantly... you have a B6, not a B5.

1996-2001=B5
2002-2005=B6

Just letting you know before you get flamed alive

Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Not B5... B6!!! sorry

After spending an entire Friday and Saturday out of town and at the mechanic I was quite weary when I wrote my last post. I meant B6...Opps on my part. I looked at several B5's before buying this one. To me it is a bit of a different car. Any way...

1) So it this sensor going out or isit doing its job! When I toned down on the hot curves and slowed down to a safe speed it didn't do it anymore.
2)I wondered if it didn't take some breaking in. It really only does it from a start or very slow speds. It does not do it once I get going good (ie 3,4, and 5th gears) The clutch is a Valeo Single mass clutch/flywheel kit. it is smooth for the most part, but just feels weird in others.
3) The old thermastat worked, but I went ahead and changed it out while I was in there. The guage reads nothing accept flat cold.
4)Please don't flame me alive... It was a typo. Sorry.
5) What is ice link? I'm not really up on that kind of stuff. Would an antenae booster help my reception. The Audi radios are made by Panasonic... Why won't they pick up?
Thanks for the input. I could use some more.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

I looked up ice link... Cool! I have an iPod, but didn't know these existed. Is this the same as icelink?

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/c...t687uaoe104kg7

Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

most of the time the poor radio reception is the antenna booster module, its somewhere in the trunk area

ive upgraded to a pioneer dvd/nav and it fixed my problem, but satellite radio is just so much better than regular radio

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Radio reception comes from a cracked module on the rear windshield. Its located towards the top. They usaully crack on the sides, once it cracks there goes your radio reception. The satelite radio box is located on the drivers panel in the trunk