AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   New to Forum, 1.8 or 3.0 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/new-forum-1-8-3-0-a-127608/)

Audie's Audi 03-26-2009 01:05 AM

1.8 all the way.
I didnt do the research I should have when looking at my car
(I have a 2005 3.0 V6)

I want to mod it, buuut there is nothing out there.
Love my car, but, the 1.8 I could mod to get me to where the 3.0 is

gotta do the Quattro tho, it's beautiful.

srivkin78 03-27-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Audie's Audi (Post 1063591)
1.8 all the way.
I didnt do the research I should have when looking at my car
(I have a 2005 3.0 V6)

I want to mod it, buuut there is nothing out there.
Love my car, but, the 1.8 I could mod to get me to where the 3.0 is

gotta do the Quattro tho, it's beautiful.

You can mod anything for the money. I am sure you can get a turbo on that 3.0, just allot of custom made parts. But it would be one hell of a car.

pa4ul 03-27-2009 01:47 PM

yea but the 1.8 is way cheaper to upgrade versus spending upwards of 5 grand to turbo a 3.0

quadexhaust 03-27-2009 01:54 PM

I just did the chip tune on my 2002 Ultra Sport A4 3.0 6-speed. NICE upgrade.

I have had in the past:
2002 1.8T - chipped via Giacc - nice- and you notice the bump in power due to the turbo.

2002 2.7T A6 - awesome when chipped, but you're not asking about this car.

2005.5 A4 2.0T - great when chipped - did NOT do anything else, and very noticeable when the turbo kicks in.

CURRENT:
2002 Ultra Sport Dolphin Grey a4 3.0 6-speed
Chip upgrade from www.034motorsport.com - nice upgrade, was surprised by the gain. I'm going to have them tune it next week. They'll also do a "before and after" for me (it only takes 10 minutes on the computer to flash the ecu).

If you like the jolt of the turbo, get the turbo - it's fun.

If you like suble power, and do the chip/exhaust, etc., do the 3.0. I think I have a unique experience on the boards, since I've had 4 different Audi's / 4 different engines.

My favorite was the A6 2.7T 6-speed, awesome..... but I'll take/keep my 3.0 now that it's chipped (exhaust later today...)

Best,

Quad

auditech79 03-27-2009 04:13 PM

The only thing i don't like about the 3.0L model A4 is its a pain in the ass to work on!
As for intake and headers, thats the way of old school cars like camaros and mustangs. If you get a 1.8T it has a turbo manifold so you couldn't install a header even if you wanted to. The 3.0L on the other hand would be awesome, but no one makes them. Plus you would have to re-locate the cats down stream and its a PITA to get at etc.

This is how i would break it down to you, if you like luxury and just cruising with a fair amount of power than go with the 3.0L model which has a nicer interior.

If you want to tune, the 1.8T.

Sublime865 03-27-2009 10:32 PM

Whats the difference between the 3.0 and 1.8T interior wise (except the optional rear heated seats... grumblegrumble)?

I swear, if Audi gave the 3.0 people the non peely buttons /sarcasm

haha

The way I look at it, the 1.8T is always better. Chipped you get more power than the 3.0, plus you actually have options. Though with an exhaust the 3.0 sounds better IMO.

Then again I am still a rookie when it comes to working on cars and understanding the nitty gritty details, so I would take AudiTech's word over mine, to be truly honest.

Audie's Audi 03-28-2009 12:28 AM

"Then again I am still a rookie when it comes to working on cars and understanding the nitty gritty details, so I would take AudiTech's word over mine, to be truly honest."
Probably a smart idea Sublime, he knows what he's talking about, he's helped me alot.

and yeah, I could mod the hell out of my 3.0 IF I REALLY WANTED TO, but I don't have the money for all that, I'll just stick to the basics.
Since Quad likes his chip so much, I'm pretty sure I'll have one put in soon.

and Quad, which exhaust did you go with on your 3.0?

Sublime865 03-28-2009 01:01 AM

lol yeah, you can mod a 3.slow but for power there is just so much more out there for the 1.8T. Plus the 3.0 is heavier, so even if you make the same power, you have more weight (in the front too).

Nothing against the 3.0, I just like the ability to do things in increments.

quadexhaust 03-28-2009 11:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I went with "turbo" (supposedly the name of the manu) mufflers + some 3.5 inch double walled tips - I have a pic I'll post. If I remember, I'll also take a quick vid/audio clip of the car at start up and a little rev. I like it, but the guys are right, if you want "endless" options to tweek your car, the T cars are definitely the way to go.

I'm a junkie when it comes to modifying cars - in my GTO I replaced the cam, heads, headers, CAI, UDP, intake, gears, and much more, it was never ending - but man, there was nothing on the road that could keep up with it short of a new vette or pure exotic. It tapped out at 440rwhp and 390'ish rwtq.

Attachment 46265
Attachment 46266 (new tips)
Attachment 46267 (old car)

quadexhaust 03-28-2009 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
couple more of the exhaust. The pic doesn't really show how "well" the new tips fill in the bumper cutout..... but the double walled tip looks pretty good imo...

Attachment 46263
Attachment 46264
Quad