B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

New Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default New Front Brakes

So my dealer just tol dme that I will need new front brakes in the next two months or so, and that i should have them replace them. Problem is the dealer wants about $600 to do so and I am pretty positive I can get them done for much cheaper. I looked at the pads and such on ECSTuning and they seem to be relatively inexpensive. A friend of mine who is a VW/Audi enthusiast has told me that replacing the brakes is a very simple endeavor, so I just wanted to get an idea from the folks here if this is something that can be easily done. My brother-in-law is a certified mechanic for GM and I would probably get his help for my first time doing this. Any input would be greatly appreciatedand ideas on which pads to get from ECS would help too.

Thanks

I have a 2004 A4 1.8T

Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Default RE: New Front Brakes

Ya changing your break pads are easy. pretty much diy.

go to autozone. you can buy breaks with lifeline warrenty. so when they go out again they give you another pair for free after you trade your old ones in.

but if you go down to any ordinary shop they will do it for you at a much cheaper rate than AUDI. Remember, Audi charges their high labor rates, here in San Diego its $125 and hour. A normally shop is about $45 an hour

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
3rd Gear

Changing brakes on a Mustang or on an Audi is basically the same thing.
If you want to go OEM, there are a lot of websites that sell OEM stuff. If you want to go aftermarket (Brembo, Zimmerman, PowerSlot) rotors, search here on forums, it has been discussed many times. Same thing with the pads. It would be still less then what the Dealer charged you. Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 AM
1st Gear

Im going to get my rear brakes done tomorrow morning.

I bought parts online from http://www.autopartsonlinecanada.com/

They have different brands and types available to choose.

I bought two rear rotors(Zimmerman made by german) + rear brake pad set (PBR Deluxe advanced) for just $110 cad including shipping.

the labour is $70 bucks in independent shop.

so total I pay $180.

I got quote from other shops for $500 cad+.

So I save more than $300 cad!!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

Problem is the dealer wants about $600
What???
Does a happy ending come with that?? Amazing how dealers bang owners, and most would pay it!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM

if you dont do the AUTOZONE thing like I said... try ECSTUNING for some high performance breaks and also regular pads

Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

So would anyone recommend changing out the rotors too just to get them done? Car has about 86k miles on it and they have never been changed but not sure if they would even need to be.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: braeden

So would anyone recommend changing out the rotors too just to get them done? Car has about 86k miles on it and they have never been changed but not sure if they would even need to be.
I think that all of your rotors has been already changed once (at least).
Mechanics tell you if your rotors are going bad by measuring their width. You can do that yourself also. I had the same problem a year ago, and i changed all my rotors just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

So sorry for hitting you guys with all these questions, but as far as the rotors are concerned, I noticed on ECS that they have the original plain OEM rotors and then they have some that are cross-drilled and slotted and so forth. What are the differences and why would you use those others types over say just the plain OEM style?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Yah you cant go wrong with changing your rotors. Doesnt hurt to put new ones on there. I reccomend if you are going to get some name brand pads... at least get some good rotors. But like AudiProtein said, you should have had them changed at least once.. even twice. On my cars, I normally change them every other year. Just to keep things fresh and safe. Plus, I hate when they start looking old. haha

Quick Reply: New Front Brakes