B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

oil burning smell without any noticeable leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default oil burning smell without any noticeable leak

My 04 1.8t has a burning smell after driving that reeks of oil but I cant find a leak anywhere nor does it loose oil enough for me to judge by the dip stick. This happened right after I had the oil changed (not the dealer). Where should I check before taking it to the dealership?

thx -R

2004 1.8t
Stage I
Cold-Air intake
larger diverter valve
56k miles

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

If its not losing or leaking oil than I'd check the top of your exhaust and anywhere else the oil spilled onto when it was changed...

I'm thinking that there is no problem and that the oil burning smell will stop once all the oil that was spilled (most likely when the filter was changed) burns off.

If it persists have it checked out.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-17-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by krystallbluea4
If its not losing or leaking oil than I'd check the top of your exhaust and anywhere else the oil spilled onto when it was changed...

I'm thinking that there is no problem and that the oil burning smell will stop once all the oil that was spilled (most likely when the filter was changed) burns off.

If it persists have it checked out.
good call... but on the 1.8t the exhaust runs on the opposite side from the oil filter.

i'd go w/ that... if it doesn't go away the only two spots where oil burns on exhaust in a 1.8t is the cam tensioner seal and the front prop shaft seal.
unless the oil is burning in the exhaust then you have serious issues

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

Maybe u just had some oil left on your exhaust/cats after doing the oil change?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
4th Gear

or maybe u got a oil leak and dont know it. drive ur car for a little bit of time park it and leave it on look to ur wheel wells and see if u can see any smoke coming from that area. U might have a tension cam gasket leak.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiprotein
Maybe u just had some oil left on your exhaust/cats after doing the oil change?
IF he has oil on the cat after an oil change, then I would never go back to that place. You'd have to be really sloppy to get it on there. Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) or Valve Cover (VC) or both is your problem. Look for whitish-brownish staining on the catalytic convertor. Is there oily, cruddy build up at the back of the valve cover where two button head torx screws are (that's the CCT)? My passat 1.8T gaskets went at 38K. My a4 1.8T's gaskets are toast at 62K. I can see it. Trying to get the dealer to replace under CPO is like pullin frickin teeth tho. It's an easy DIY if you are so inclined.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Turns out it was the cam gaskets and while there the dealer also notice the coolant flange was leaking. So I also had the timing belt replaced while the car was in pieces...saved a few bucks on labor but now the d@#$ thing sounds like a diesel at idle. I cant win from losing. I'm thinking it's sound with the tension. Taking it back to the dealer from the third time tomorrow.

thanks to everyone for the replies.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever find out what was causing your odd noise after the previous work?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

The noise was the tension pulley. Dealer had to replace it and now she runs like a champ.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

How much was it to fix the tension cam gasket leak? roughly.
thnks

Quick Reply: oil burning smell without any noticeable leak