B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Dipstick Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Dipstick Replacement

Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the oil dipstick? I went to the check the oil yesterday, and when I pulled the on the stick, the handle part snapped off! The broken piece fell down to the bottom and I couldn't get it out. Is that going to be a problem? Anyhow, a new stick would be great, any ideas?

Cheers,

- I Love Lagar -

Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
3rd Gear

Nothing really hard. Just buy a new one online or at the dealer. "unplug" the old one and put the new one back in.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Don;t just buy a replacement without removing the old piece first!!!

Hold on there!! Do you mean the metal part of the dipstick (the part you check the oil level with) fell down inside the tube?

If so, then you may have a major problem. See if you can fish it out with some sort of magnet and a long, thin screwdriver or punch. Right now, the remains of your dipstick is resting on the bottom of the oil pan and depending on how long the tube is, it could fall further inside the engine and get wrapped around the rotating assembly (crankshaft, etc.).

If you cannot remove it that way, you may have to drop your oil pan and get it out from there. If you simply buy a new dipstick and shove it in the tube, you risk pushing the old dipstick further into the oil pan.

Good luck with all that. I have never heard of a dipstick breaking off like that and falling into the tube.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear

oh, my bad, i missed that broken part thing

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

My plastic orange handle broke off. I replaced the stick itself. Not the entire metal sleeve.... Stick only.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Like tfvesquire said, if the metal part of the dipstick fell in then you have a serious problem on your hands. If so, you may get lucky and be able to fish it out through the drain plug. If it was just a small piece of the orange plastic, you shouldn't have any problems. I had a small piece of mine fall down the tube not long after I got the car and it didn't cause any problems. It actually came out the first time I changed my oil after it happened.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:36 AM
1st Gear
Default ...

Sorry, I failed to mention which part snapped off and fell down ... ... the round orange part did (where you would put your finger in), about 3/4s of it snapped off and it fell down into the engine, not into the actual tube.

Where can I get a replacement ... I googled/yahooed but didn't come up with anything ... does they dealer sell them? They must charge an arm and a leg though

Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

So was it just a piece of plastic and you were able to get the actual stick out?? You can find replacements at ECS Tuning.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM

Try to find one on www.shokan.com they are a great site that tears apart Audi's for parts. I got the authentic Audi Wood Dash and intalled it myself. 2 dash and 4 doors, looks awesome with the tan leather interior.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

i have a A4 with the AEB engine and im missing the dipstick went to ecs tuning site and there are two funnels for the dipstick which one should i get or i just need the dipstick. i have a 99.5 1.8T with the AEB engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick Replacement