B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil MIN light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil MIN light?

The oil MIN light appeared on my dashboard as I was driving home. I continued to drive because the STOP button didn't come on and it wasn't flashing.

How could the car need oil? I checked the oil about 1500 miles ago and it was fine and just got the oil changed 1000 miles ago.

Could this be another sensor type of thing since I just recently had the ABS, traction control, and BRAKE light pop on as well? Has my car gone insane?

LOL.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

Check the oil to begin with, make sure you're actually good on oil. Our cars are getting old and some actually burn oil.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
4th Gear

How could the car need oil? I checked the oil about 1500 miles ago and it was fine and just got the oil changed 1000 miles ago.
Huh?
Ok.. since you didnt look, I'll tell you - You need a new engine. Swap it out with one that does not have the Oil Level sensor and you'll never have to worry about it again!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Huh?
Ok.. since you didnt look, I'll tell you - You need a new engine. Swap it out with one that does not have the Oil Level sensor and you'll never have to worry about it again!
lol...

it just seemed weird to me since i didn't check it very long ago..and it was fine. i was surprised it burned that much in a short period of time.

I'll check it tomorrow and if it's low I'll put some in I guess. It just seemed weird that within a day the car had all these lights coming on. I thought they may be sensor related.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear

Dumb question: is the sensor for oil level or oil pressure? If the latter, it could be due to the oil pump failing or blocked oil passages. If just the level, checking the dipstick should tell you whether you have a real problem, a flakey sensor, or gremlins.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

I'm pretty confident it's the oil level.

I checked the oil today and it was in the B range, which according to the manual, I do not need to add oil. It WAS, however, in the LOW B Range which is why I may be getting the warning message saying that I will soon need to add oil.

The light did not appear today when I was driving...so I guess that's good, lol.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
4th Gear

Dude.. add some oil. Last thing you want to do is a little hard driving and uncover your oil pick up.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

So the light came on yesterday again, so I checked the oil again and it was significantly lower then it was last time I had checked it. So I went and got some oil put in it, and the guy thinks there is probably a very small leak somewhere...He said it'll probably be expensive, but god I hope not, lol.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

I have an 05 a4 1.8t with the exact same problem, oil light would come on after a long period of city driving, or putting on approx 1000-1500km in one go (road-trip).

problem isn't a leak in my case, and what I've heard from other audi owners. observe under your car, you won't find oil anywhere. my car burns oil, and a lot of it. one quick test is to wipe out your tail pipe so it's clean, then watch how quickly it turns black. or simply have someone tail you and accelerate, chances are little amounts of black smoke appear.

I carry oil in my trunk all the time. Unfortunately it's necessary.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

the black stuff in the tail pipe is not necessarily oil. the richer the tune, the more black stuff (carbon) you'll get in the exhaust. it's basically catalytic converter-burnt fuel.

i think you lose oil level from heat, for the most part. the heat boils off some of the lighter components of the oil. be sure to use 5w-40 synthetic during the hot months.

Quick Reply: Oil MIN light?