B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Sensor Light and Traction Control Light - Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Oil Sensor Light and Traction Control Light - Intermittent

So I've been having two random lights intermittently coming on in my 1.8T Quattro A4 lately... the Oil Sensor Light (one beep, yellow oil can on dash display), and the Traction Control Light (yellow circle around "!"). I do not even know if they are related.

The oil sensor light comes on about every other day or so, usually only for a few minutes while driving, then it shuts back off all on it's own. I changed the oil and filter, ensuring to use the exact Audi dealer-recommended filter and oil (Full synthetic, 5w-40). I cleaned the connection to the sensor on the oil pan. No change in behavior of the oil light.

The traction light comes on less frequently (once a week), but shuts off as soon as the car is restarted and won't come back for several days.

I cannot feel anything wrong with the drivability of the car, whether the lights are on or not. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
3rd Gear

I have the traction control on at times, after long drives it usually comes on. I suspected the brakelight switch because my brakelights started staying on so I replaced it, and at the same time I haven't got a chance to drive long distances like when the light used to turn on so it might still come on. As far as your yellow light, maybe you need a new sensor, just keep an eye on the oil level and try to scan your car when you get a chance, it might call out the oil sensor.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Default Level Sensor or Pressure Sensor?

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind about the brake switch.

As for the oil sensor - the display on the dash screen is yellow, not red, and reads "sensor" with a pic of an oil can. I just want to confirm that this means it is an issue with the oil level sensor, and not the oil pressure sensor - is that correct?