B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

"Oil sludge problem" Oil Light / Check Engine lights came on! High five!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Thumbs down "Oil sludge problem" Oil Light / Check Engine lights came on! High five!

High five. Good times obviously.

Was driving back from Baltimore to Philadelphia, red large oil can pops up says nothing but "Oil", i stop at the next gas station i fill in a quart of mobil 1 synthetic oil, because first i checked the levels, it was low. Figure this will take care of the problem.

Keep driving, lights still on beeping every 2 minutes but car seems to be okay still. 2 Miles before my destination, check engine light (yesss) comes on. At this point i want to drive into oncoming traffic.

Now after doing some research on the internet-googles... Come to find out this an extremely common problem with our B6s? That apparently there is some kind of Warranty extension of 8 years-unlimited miles.

I'm still waiting on a call back from Audi, towed my car there last night. But this is apparently the "Oil sludge" problem with our engines?

Has anyone had this problem and taken care of it, gotten Audi to pay for the repairs / possibly new engine, etc??

Terrified over here, i just read so many horror stories about this...

Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

You would have to prove full synthetic changes every 10k.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Site Moderator

Yes, you would need receipts of oil changes every 10k SINCE YOU OWNED THE CAR.
There is a year restriction but i think you're still good. The engines aren't really prone to sludge, the problem is the oil pick up tube design. It gets easilly clogged by dirt, gasket material, or maybe even a little sludge if you use crap oil.
Since you have driven with that light on i can guarantee you there is engine damage.
Audi will either cover the repair, or a new engine as long as you can prove maintenance.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 AM

So previous owners don't matter and its 10,000 miles?

I heard that was part of the problem, that you could get shafted because of previous owners not taking care of oil maintenance & that it was 5k miles.
(http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...di_sludge.html)

As of right now i'm getting my oil pump, dipstick and oil filter replaced. Apparently i had an 'aftermarket' oil filter? I'm assuming from my last oil change, strange.

The mechanic told me he can yet tell if its oil sludge that's absolutely the problem, seems like we'll find out the fun way when i pick it up today! I'll keep you posted.

Hoping that if oil sludge is the case, that i will be compensated the hundreds i'm spending right now!

If 10k miles and only me being the owner is the case i've only had the car for about 13k miles and had it changed about 4-5k ago!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Site Moderator

If he isn't chaning the oil pick up tube your pissing in the wind. I guarantee you its not a bad oil pump, but you'll never be able to verify that because if he changes the pick tube it would be fixed anyways. You're mechanic is working you.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

this exact thing started happening to me! now my car is sounding like a deisel when it idles, im replacing the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and the oil pick up tube. hopefully that takes care of the problem :/

Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Markow123
So previous owners don't matter and its 10,000 miles?

I heard that was part of the problem, that you could get shafted because of previous owners not taking care of oil maintenance & that it was 5k miles.
(http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...di_sludge.html)

As of right now i'm getting my oil pump, dipstick and oil filter replaced. Apparently i had an 'aftermarket' oil filter? I'm assuming from my last oil change, strange.

The mechanic told me he can yet tell if its oil sludge that's absolutely the problem, seems like we'll find out the fun way when i pick it up today! I'll keep you posted.

Hoping that if oil sludge is the case, that i will be compensated the hundreds i'm spending right now!

If 10k miles and only me being the owner is the case i've only had the car for about 13k miles and had it changed about 4-5k ago!
You could have tried an engine cleaner first, but since the pickup is usually the problem and hes doing that anyway, you should be fine.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02A4kid
this exact thing started happening to me! now my car is sounding like a deisel when it idles, im replacing the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and the oil pick up tube. hopefully that takes care of the problem :/
That sounds like it could be your VVT tensioner. The valve cover and spark plugs won't do much if the problem is the oil pickup or VVT tensioner

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

well when i took out the old plugs there were small pools of oil where the plugs go, so the gasket was much needed and the oily plugs needed replacing. whats the vvt tensioner?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

is this another dipshit using wal-mart brand conventional oil in a turbo engine and changing it whenever it suits his trailer park budget?

Quick Reply: "Oil sludge problem" Oil Light / Check Engine lights came on! High five!