B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Power Steering question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Default Power Steering question

I have a 2003 3.0 with 100k miles and noisy power steering system...but it only seems to happen when it's cold outside. The rack was replaced under warranty by the dealer last April and I have gone through the bleed process described in the common problems thread. Fluid level looks good.

I bleed the system at least once a week and i continue to get air in the system. Where is the air coming from? It doesn't seem right to have to bleed the power steering so often.

The noisy system really only shows up when the temps drop below 40 F...the colder it gets, the louder the noise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 AM

Just had the same problem, check the fluid, also check the hose line that goes from your pump to the top the the engine.. it would connect by the audi symbol... just follow the hose.. there could be a small leak where air is getting in.. i just got my car back yesterday and thats what the problem was. hope this helped and good luck

Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mikeeace
Just had the same problem, check the fluid, also check the hose line that goes from your pump to the top the the engine.. it would connect by the audi symbol... just follow the hose.. there could be a small leak where air is getting in.. i just got my car back yesterday and thats what the problem was. hope this helped and good luck
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM

cylax, i have the exact same problem. i became curious after i had the system flushed and it didn't fix it.

i'm gonna try the solution the above poster suggested and see what i can find.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 AM
3rd Gear

There's several posts like this accross different forums. I'd check for fluid level and then check for leaks. After that you need to let your car warm up at least 3 minutes on the cold weather to let the power steering coolant lines warm up.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1969
There's several posts like this accross different forums. I'd check for fluid level and then check for leaks. After that you need to let your car warm up at least 3 minutes on the cold weather to let the power steering coolant lines warm up.
Thanks for the tips. I did quite a bit of searching on this topic prior to posting...my fluid level is in good shape and there are no leaks that I am able to find. On cold days, my car always gets a 3-5min warmup before I go anywhere...on warm days I always let her run for a minute or so before moving.

Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to take a look at the line and see if it helps.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 AM

cylax, once again my car does the same as yours. i have an 02 3.0 quattro and my fluid level is also good. i'll try to look at it myself this weekend, hopefully tonight and i'll post what i find.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
3rd Gear

If you have the noise and everything else is good, maybe your steering rack or pump are going out.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM

I just experienced and was going to post about this problem myself today!!
Was going to give someone a ride to the airport and was nervous to take my car since i turned it on and when i'd turn it was making this sound.

Is this an expensive fix to just do at a shop? I'm going in to get one my rear windows fixed anyway. Any help would be nice.

Can't believe this is a common problem, how strange =/

'03 car has 75k miles

Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM

I saw another post on thsi topic in another forum, a random reply suggested adding ATF to the PS fluid and that it would address the issue. While I'm all for saving $600+ on a pump replacement I'm more than a little hesitant about doing this without someone else chiming in. Why would someone recommend adding ATF to the PS fluid and why would it help?

If it would actually help, what ATF could be used to safely mix with the OEM fluid? If there is one thign I've learned since buying this car its that other than gas, virtually none of the fluids seem to the same as you mgiht find in a regular Autozone shelf.

Quick Reply: Power Steering question