B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

REALLY LOUD FAN NOISE AFTER STARTING?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: REALLY LOUD FAN NOISE AFTER STARTING?!?!

Well, I may have needed to mention this before but I though it might have a link to it. My car's been leaking coolant from the back of the engine. I had it checked at a VW shop says it's a flange of some sort. In any case, I've been refilling my coolant reservoir when the indication tells me that it's low. But yesterday I guess the leak got worst so I lost more coolant and the temp guage went to hot(H) for a couple of seconds then, went back to normal level (middle). I stopped at a gas station to fill up the reservoir all the way up to MAX level. All's well as it seemed, the fan wasn't making the noise anymore. But the temp gauge is malfunctioning; it keeps dipping in the middle then down to C cold then back up the middle again and does this sporadically.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with what triggered the fan making loud noise. But some of you say it's a quick fix. What exactly do I need to do??

Old 02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: REALLY LOUD FAN NOISE AFTER STARTING?!?!

I got the same when the car is really cold=) or wasnt driven for a while. but it goes away once the car is warm.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

I have an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 2002 and 93k miles and the car has the same problem.

My mechanic told me that the engine error code (cooling system error) can be solved by reprogramming the computer, and that no piece should be replaced. I have yet to try this, but have anyone resolve the issue?

My engine light is currently on because of this error.

Tks

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

I have the same issue with the noise and only hear it when it's really cold or really hot.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

The SAI is only used when it is cold out. Has your temp guage been eratic. The SAI pump is located in the front passenger side. Check and see if the sound is commin from there. My temp sensor went out and my fans were commin on all the time and the gauge would jump up and down. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 AM
1st Gear
Default new diagnosis: change the fan module

not sure if this makes sense or not, but my mechanic told me we need to change the Cooling Fan Module. This is a $500 job. You guys agree?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
1st Gear
Default anyone got rid of fan noise?

has anyone been able to resolve the issue of the loud fan noise?? I still have it (and check engine light still on). another mechanic said I should change the catalytic + temp sensor. Please respond

Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
3rd Gear

For all these issues is common problems and solutions. The temperature gauge is malfunctioning because of a bad Temperature sensor, like 20 bucks if you get it from VW the dealer. The Coolant flange goes bad every now and then, you have to replace the little nipple, I think there's a PDF attached to a thread floating around with a break down for those with a 3.0. The fan noise, if the car is heating then the fan will come on, if it's not then you probably have a bad fan control thingy, have to replace it, don't know the price. Here's a link to the Common Probl and solutions: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128740

Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default fixed!

thank you very much - I replaced the temp sensor and problem was solved. Did not need to change the catalyst...so, I save myself about $700. Thanks again

Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Do you live in a really hot climate? Like the desert?
Its normal in temps over 100 degrees, if not then replace the fan clutch.
I have the exact same thing happening and I am in Canada and its not warm at all when mine started. So this does not seem to be the answer.

Quick Reply: REALLY LOUD FAN NOISE AFTER STARTING?!?!