B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Repeated Ignition Coil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Repeated Ignition Coil Problems

I have a 2003 A4 Quattro, 3.0 L engine. I recently bought it so this is new to me. I have had problems with the coil packs after a recent timing belt change.

Car has 105,000 miles. All else seems in order and pretty well taken care of.

The other day, it started with the rough idle, loss of power, etc...

Bought 1 coil pack from Autozone (C1471 part), replaced cylinder 1 pack.

1 day later, bought 2 more from Napa, replaced cylinders 4 and 5.

Not one day later, coil pack 1 is throwing code. Not sure what is happening, but I would hate to keep replacing these. Anyone had problems with Autozone ignition coils? Audi dealership only says I need to check wiring to coils. Other than that, I would have to tow it 75 miles to the dealership.

Help is greatly appreciated. I am pretty sure the valve cover gaskets are no longer leaking. I just replaced them. Torqued everything to specs.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

maybe the IMC ignition control module
its responsible for sending the signal to the coil pack in which sends the amount of spark the spark plugs to make?

try swapping the coil pack thats missfiring with another one and scan to see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. if it does then its bad but if it doesn't it must be the IMC?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Has your vehicle had the ignition coil recall done yet? Audi will replace your coils with the correct factory ones for free. Call AoA and give them your VIN, they'll tell you if you're eligible or not. Granted the dealer is 75 miles away but the AutoZone and Napa coil are junk.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Certified

I agree with Stevie , check with Audi about the coil recall.
Another good piece of advice would be to stay away from the Chinese Crap that Autozone sells! (yes i am biased)
It is also possible that the ecm could be cooking the coils. Have seen that problem more than once on several makes including Audi.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Forgot to mention Audi says the recall has been done already. I have been swapping coils and each time it is the coil pack. I was told it could be bad spark plugs with too much resistance. Not sure I agree but I'm replacing them anyway since I'm not sure it has ever been done.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

Any thoughts on checking the ecm? Only dealer can do it?

What about the wiring harness? Would there be something wrong with that? It looks like its just fine.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

id say you need some updated coils from audi.

i had a similar experience, i took it to one dealer for replacements (under recall) and received new coils. a few months later i went in for some maintenance to a different dealer, and said that the other dealer didnt use updated coils. they then put new ones in.

check around for a sticker in the engine bay that says that the recall has been done on your vehicle. if there is no sticker, you will need some new coils from audi.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

I did check the part numbers on the old coils and they are the updated part numbers. I was told by Audi service that they expect about 2 coils a year to burn out. That is normal. Really? I know of no other vehicle where they are expected to burn out this frequently.

I am changing plugs, and coils as needed. Hopefully it will last for a while now...

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Still at a loss

I have changed the spark plugs all around, and changed ignition coils on cylinders 1 and 2 yesterday. I keep getting a rough idle and a misfire on cylinder 1. Have swapped coils around, but there is no difference.

I plan on taking some time to check wiring as much as I can.

I have not been able to find an IMC module listed on any parts website for my car (2003 A4 Quattro, 3.0 L).

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Certified

I have not been able to find an IMC module listed on any parts website for my car (2003 A4 Quattro, 3.0 L).

I think you should be looking for ICM (ignition control module)?

I have changed the spark plugs all around, and changed ignition coils on cylinders 1 and 2 yesterday. I keep getting a rough idle and a misfire on cylinder 1. Have swapped coils around, but there is no difference.

Just remember to reset faults before rechecking for misfire again. The ECM will shut off the fuel to a cylinder that it detects has a hard misfire.

Another thing to check is the injectors. Could have a bad one!

Last edited by M5S5; 02-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Repeated Ignition Coil Problems