B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

RossTech Vag-Com or "Rev" iPhone App?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Default RossTech Vag-Com or "Rev" iPhone App?

I'm a n00b so please go easy.. (I did search before posting.. need more info)

I've had my 03 A41.8TQS for about 2.5 years.. My CPO warranty is over and I want to spend a few bucks to get an OBD II reader/tool to pull codes, clear the CEL and I understand you can do some mods/tweaks to CCM features like remote window roll-up?

I have read a lot about Ross-Tech Vag-Com and have been looking at the VCDS License with KII-USB Interface for $249US. I've pretty good laptop that should be able to run this very well.
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM

I know as a diagnostic tool alone, Vag Com would be the winner. (Do any A4 B6 users have one? Have you been happy with it?)
BUT there is this really, really cool looking iPhone app called Rev made by DevToaster. You buy the software for $40 and then you need this WiFi transmitting "Kiwi" OBD II cable for $150 to transmit the data to your iPhone.. It can pull codes, clear CEL and give you/record real time data.. Wirelessly, to your iPhone!
It just looks sooo cool. But I can't afford this and Vag-Com right now.. I really need the best "tool" not toy that I can get.. Is Vag-Com it?
http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

I couldn't find anything searching threads for Rev. Does anyone have it, use it, love it? Hate it? I need a tool, what do you think?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 AM

i would say go with vag-com as it is a more specialized tool for audi/vw's compared to a generalized OBDII reader (I'm assuming thats what the 'REV' is)

Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 AM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't use anything that involves the I-phone to work on my Audi.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM

The vag-com is specialized for your car, the iPohne app is more of a general tool. If you're looking to work with your audi and maybe a VW or two then get the vag-com...if all you want to do is read codes and clear the CEl, get the ipohne app...or save yourself a bunch of money a get a cheap code scanner with data logging for like $100.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

Having a vag com I also looked into the iPhone app but all it really does is diagnostics and resetting. The vag com does wayyyyy more.

Go with the vag!