B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Screwed: leaking problem, need help with Audi A4 Cabriolet 2004 3.0 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Unhappy Screwed: leaking problem, need help with Audi A4 Cabriolet 2004 3.0 Quattro

Hi all,

A few weeks ago on my way to work, my Audi's windows just stopped working. Not only that, but the convertible top stopped working, the locks stopped working, the gas cover stopped unlocking and locking, trunk, and alarm started chirping on its own. I bought it 2 months ago, lovely!

I bring it to my mechanic and he finds the problem. The computer that runs the electronics, which is located under the driver's seat, under the rugs, that whole area is flooded with water. He drained all the water, and dried everything out by running the AC for awhile.

Now all of that works, but apparently I've got a leak somewhere and the mechanic told me it was over his head. I called one Audi dealership and he told me that it could be under the wipers due to blockage and diverted drainage, or somewhere in the boot, claiming that he's seen this before. He quoted me at up to $5000 (!!!)

I bring it to a different dealership and he says it's the driver's side door weather seal (this dealership actually looked at the car). He's quoting me at $1000. I can see where the weather seal is loose but I'm wondering if that's the extent of the problem.

I'd rather not have to give it up if I can trace the problem and fix it, and the hassle of getting a new car is a real pain.

I definitely budgeted for repairs and maintenance, but it's absurd to keep chasing down an issue forever, which I'm half expecting if I don't find someone both knowledgeable and honest. I'm an IT guy, I troubleshoot for a living, and I know how involved (and time sucking) it can get if you don't know the problem. Unfortunately, throwing money at it will make me broke in no time.

Anyone have any experience with this? What would you guys do if you had a leak? Time is on my side, gobs of money isn't.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Slut

Park the car and setup a ladder next to it. Zip tie a hose on the ladder and set the nozzle on mist. Aim it at where you think its leaking and come back and check on it in about an hour. Then you just have to start chasing the leak. You'll need to take off some interior panels most likely. Good luck

Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
3rd Gear

The leak is on your firewall, where you battery is, the drains are clogged, you need to pull your battery out for better view, then with your hand pull all the nasty **** lodged in there, is going to range from dried up leaves crusted and compacted to mud, make sure it all comes out because that will flood that area and go into your electronics through your dashboard. Also you need to clean the sunroor drains, I personally haven't done that one myself but from the posts that I have read on other forums you can do it with a cable and some chlorine. Good luck.

If your ECM (Electronics Control Module) got wet, you will need a new one, sometimes it dries, it works for a while, then it just takes a dump on you completely.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Angry Same thing for A4 Quattro 2003

During a recent rain storm 2 to 3 inch of rain, I found my Audi 2003 A4 1.8T flooded.
So I took the car to my Audi dealer. After a $105.00 charge the dealer gave the diag., which said Tech :-
"found ECM housing leaking due to drains not being clear of debris".
I went to my owners manual and FOUND NO reference as to this condition NOR where the location of these / this drain is? I then asked for the location and was told that it is under the BATTERY. Give me a break HOW IS ONE TO KNOW (NO owner manual info.) as to how to clear this problem..... I then took the covers of and disconnected the battery ( had to have a special EXTENDED #5 Allen wrench to allow to release the Battery)
low and behold a drain under the Battery. When you pour water in at a 2 to inch rate, were the wind shield wipers are, the drain will fill up and flood, drain hole is much too small MFG defect. Also THERE IS NO WAY I SHOULD BE TAKING MY car to a Dealer and be charged $65.00 to $90.00/ hour to have my drain cleaned!!!!!
Looking at the design of this BASIN around the battery just screams of FLOOD, with all that battery blockage etc. since the water during a hard rain has nowhere to go but into the car. VERY POOR DESIGN FOR SUCH AN EXPENSIVE CAR. I have looked at the WEB and find this FLOOD problem is not uncommon. The dealer now asks for $1000.00 to fix my problem.

WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE TO THIS AUDI PROBLEM????

My windows now will not go up or down, creating another problem since I have to use a tarp to cover my car from rain coming in through the open window.

Matt

Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DISAPPOINTED
During a recent rain storm 2 to 3 inch of rain, I found my Audi 2003 A4 1.8T flooded.
So I took the car to my Audi dealer. After a $105.00 charge the dealer gave the diag., which said Tech :-
"found ECM housing leaking due to drains not being clear of debris".
I went to my owners manual and FOUND NO reference as to this condition NOR where the location of these / this drain is? I then asked for the location and was told that it is under the BATTERY. Give me a break HOW IS ONE TO KNOW (NO owner manual info.) as to how to clear this problem..... I then took the covers of and disconnected the battery ( had to have a special EXTENDED #5 Allen wrench to allow to release the Battery)
low and behold a drain under the Battery. When you pour water in at a 2 to inch rate, were the wind shield wipers are, the drain will fill up and flood, drain hole is much too small MFG defect. Also THERE IS NO WAY I SHOULD BE TAKING MY car to a Dealer and be charged $65.00 to $90.00/ hour to have my drain cleaned!!!!!
Looking at the design of this BASIN around the battery just screams of FLOOD, with all that battery blockage etc. since the water during a hard rain has nowhere to go but into the car. VERY POOR DESIGN FOR SUCH AN EXPENSIVE CAR. I have looked at the WEB and find this FLOOD problem is not uncommon. The dealer now asks for $1000.00 to fix my problem.

WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE TO THIS AUDI PROBLEM????

My windows now will not go up or down, creating another problem since I have to use a tarp to cover my car from rain coming in through the open window.

Matt
Under your drivers side mat is the ecu, you need to lift the matt and completely dry that area with a fan or something for a while in your garage. After the whole area is dry, carefully open the ECU box and dry it again, there's still a llittle bit of water in there causing your electronics to go haywire. I got the same problem, leaky cover so when it rains I just stuff a towel on the whole so it doesn't come inside the car.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

there is a recall for the drain on your sunroof, cuz they are not draining properly. Go by the dealership and see if your car qualifies for the recall. I am not sure if that is your problem, but definately worth a shot...