B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Strange noise coming from underneath the backseat drivers side of car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange noise coming from underneath the backseat drivers side of car

Very very strange noise has been coming from underneath the backseat of the driver's side of the car for about a month now. It's picked up more and more dramatically as the weather has gotten colder.

I have no idea what it is. I know I have a crack in my exhaust according to my mechanic, but I'm not sure if that's what it's from or if this is something else. Car runs fine, and has no lights on. The only problem is that obnoxious noise coming from back there. Lately, my fix has been turning the music up so I can't hear it.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear
Question Me Too.

Did you ever find out what the deal w/it was? Mine has started to do that same thing over the past couple of months.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
trs
1st Gear

If it's a low "droning" noise that kicks in at around 40+ MPH, I have it too. Try folding down the seat back and drive with the radio off and see if it happens only at speed. My mechanic said it's the rear differential, which seems bizarre, but who knows. He replaced one of the wheel bearings too, since those commonly wear out.

(2003 3.0 quattro)

Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Mine isn't just while driving. It's upon idle, it's at all times. It's only when it's about below 40 degrees. It doesn't make the noise when it's warm out.

I've yet to get it looked at just because I basically know I don't have the $ to fix it right now.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear
Default It could be...

It could be that your rear bearings are finished.

There is no real way to confirm this, other than replacing them.

I had the same noise, very faint , from one of the rear wheels that changed as I changed my speed.

Turned out to be the bearings.

Last edited by pompomJuice; 01-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

So I got it looked at and they said it is the crack in my exhaust pipe that is causing that noise. Odd, I guess, but that's why they claimed it is.

$118 for part
$80 labor

I'm going to get it fixed next week. Hoping that will solve that issue. Only have about 20 more on this piece of **** vehicle.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel pump

It can be the fuel pump, I have the same thing in my car.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tmic0723
So I got it looked at and they said it is the crack in my exhaust pipe that is causing that noise. Odd, I guess, but that's why they claimed it is.

$118 for part
$80 labor

I'm going to get it fixed next week. Hoping that will solve that issue. Only have about 20 more on this piece of **** vehicle.
Lol! Dude, my thoughts exactly on the 20 more on this piece of ****. Just had to replace my passenger side window regulator and brake light switch today. What a worthless design those regulators are. Next will be tackling this issue of a high idle. That should be fun.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

fuel pump sits directly below the rear passenger-side seat. it makes a light high-pitched hum that typically does not fluctuate with rpms, and it sounds like what you'd think a tiny stressed motor would sound like, because it is one. mine would be on for a week, gone for a month, for several iterations before dying while driving..your car will just shut off and not start again. $215 part that you can do yourself with some light research..was quoted $750.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tspiv
fuel pump sits directly below the rear passenger-side seat. it makes a light high-pitched hum that typically does not fluctuate with rpms, and it sounds like what you'd think a tiny stressed motor would sound like, because it is one. mine would be on for a week, gone for a month, for several iterations before dying while driving..your car will just shut off and not start again. $215 part that you can do yourself with some light research..was quoted $750.
this is on the driver's side. it's a crack in my exhaust pipe, not a fuel pump issue...i got it checked out man lol

Quick Reply: Strange noise coming from underneath the backseat drivers side of car