B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Surging under boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Surging under boost

Well, noticed an interesting problem coming home from work today. Under hard acceleration, it feels like my turbo is surging. I can hear it spool up and pull, then I get a kind of raspy noise from under the hood, spool, pull, rasp, spool pull rasp, etc. If I stay out of it and just *mildly* let the turbo do its thing, no surging, its only under hard boost situations. It'd been a while since I did the plugs (BK6RE's) so I did them tonight, no change.

Car is all stock, no mods/chip/etc. Haven't had a chance to look at codes yet, you think those will indicate anything or not so much? I'm kind of new to the whole turbo thing, but logically it would seem like maybe the DV is getting weak? As in it builds boost, overwhelms the DV, recirc's in to the intake, and keeps on repeating?

Amuways, just looking for ideas on where to start troubleshooting. At least the weather's nice so I can drive the project car to work now Thanks!

Car is an '02 A4 1.8T for what its worth... tip/quattro

Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Surging under boost

Sounds like a time when you could use a real vagcom for some data logging.

First off, take the car to autozone and ask them to pull the codes and see what is going on.

Could be anything from worn diverter valve, bad wastegate, vacuum leaks, etc,

How many miles on the car.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Well, talked to a friend at work and he actually has a spare 710N sitting around he bought for his car but ended up with a Forge. I'm going to swap that out tomorrow just for kicks and see where it gets me. If it doesn't fix it, probably going to get a copy of vag-com and see whats going on.
Visual inspection of all vacuum lines / etc. doesn't show anything odd, but who knows.

Really hoping its not the wastegate, that'd be fun. Having to get a copy of vag-com and a cable is going to kill the money I have budgeted for the fuel cell for my Jeep....wastegate would start eating in to the tire fund [:@]

At least its been fun driving my Jag to work this week, V12 power is just kind of fun [8D]

Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Check your hoses aroundd your turbo. Anything lose or cracked hoses? Usually it's the hose on bottom of the turbo that leaks.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 AM

g33k,

Mine's doing the same thing, from the sounds of it. It's not throwing any codes though, as I just recently had the dealer check it out (Pulled the codes).

For a while, I'd disable the ESP and that seemed to help. But lately, even that doesn't seem to help it.

To describe what mine's actually doing, it doesn't appear to be mechanical in nature. It really feels like some sort of electronic limiting is going on b/c it is really smooth when it cuts back. Like it is retarding the ignition timing or something similar. Anybody ever heard of a sensor going bad and causing Traction Control to limit power on hard accel? I've heard of these types of things going on with other ESP/TCS designs, but never seen/heard of this in the B6 Audis...

I'm sort of at a loss, and don't want to dump a lot of money into my baby to figure it out... Random thread viewers ~ Please chime in with some suggestions if you've got any ideas as to what my be happening here. I'm all out...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM

P.S. I'm new to the forums (Been an occasional lurker for some time). Not new to mechanics (Used to race bikes and such). I have a B6 1.8T Manual Quattro (Loaded). Love the car. I drive it hard.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Any updates on this? I seem to be having the same problem. Most noticable on the highway when "flooring" it.

Can a failed DV cause this?

My car is chipped (basic), copper plugs and no other mods.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM

I have a 2000 2.7t A6 and Im having some similar problems. I have new dv's (forge 007's), apr bipipe and an apr 93 octane chip but now I feel like I'm losing boost or fuel supply...
I think I'm going to replace my old plugs tonight. If thats not it then I'm thinking clogged fuel filter/injectors, or a stupid boost leak. Any thoughts?

At first I thought the power loss was from the warm weather but today it dipped down the the 30s and I still don't have what I should. ((

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear

Check for boost leaks first. Since you got a 2.7t I would check for the TBB being torn or your F hose.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 2005AudiA4
Any updates on this? I seem to be having the same problem. Most noticable on the highway when "flooring" it.

Can a failed DV cause this?

My car is chipped (basic), copper plugs and no other mods.

Thanks.
If you have a stock DV and it surges while boosting under a chip then yeah.... you probably tore your DV. Get a boost gauge to monitor your turbo's activity

Quick Reply: Surging under boost