B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Tire Recommendation

Guys,

I was considering buying new tires (my thread is around 3/32-4/32 on front tires and around 5/32 on rear, and my right-rear tire is slowly letting air through and has to be reinflated every 2-3 weeks). I was going to see if I can get it patched up, but the repair guy I go to is busy until Monday and there is a 35% Firestone tire discount this weekend I was considering taking advantage of (I heard some bad things about them, but I looked up the tire I was considering on Tire Rack and it seems to get good reviews).

My current tire is 235/45R17 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, and I was considering getting Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (which seems to have good reviews on tirerack.com). Or do you guys suggest getting a different tire instead? I have no problem with my current tires aside from the fact that they're getting close to the end of their life, but it would cost me over $1000 to get the same Michelins again.

Thanks

p.s. I would prefer an all-season tire, I do occasionally drive in light snow but don't want to get a separate winter tire

Last edited by R3N3G4D3; 01-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package

i would say get these i had the older version on my B6 Audi A4. i've had these sytle of tires on my car for about 3 years. i had stock tires which sucked then my bro traded in his evo and gave me his all seasons which were 235/45/17 continetals and let me tell u they work great. in the snow they are awesome. i've recently bought a new pair last year and am currently going thru chicago snow weather and let me tell u i can drive like a bat outta hell while everyone else is super slow. these tires have gotten me outta a ditch and i've gone thru a field of 2 feet snow in my car and these tires grip and push thru. my advice dont ever try going thru 2 feet of snow unless u got good tire. i've drove about 40,000 miles on these tires and they are highly great

Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + are great tires, best I had on the car, which included the original P6 and P Zero Nero.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by monsterrider
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + are great tires, best I had on the car, which included the original P6 and P Zero Nero.
Those are what I have now. I love them but they are pricey. I also had kumho ecsta asx (i think) before and they were good too. Very similar to the p6s I got with the car.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Bought a set of General Exclaim UHP's last spring. Very happy with them, cheap too.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Was going to get Continental ExtremeContact DWS like boomshine recommended since they seemed like the best bang for the buck, unfortunately they're backordered nation-wide and everyone says it will be at least 60 days (and possibly longer) until any store gets them.

To make matters worse, my front tire started deflating every couple days, I brought the car to a mechanic today and after taking the tire off he showed me that the internal tread is completely destroyed to the point where the wiring is exposed (this was on the inside of the tire so I didn't see this). Seems like the front tires have uneven tread wear. I put my spare on there, but he said I probably have a month or so until same thing happens with the front tire on the other side (my rear tires should be fine for a while since they seem to have more even tread wear). So it looks like no ExtremeContact for me unless somehow they manage to appear everywhere overnight.

As far as General Exclaim UHP, they're a summer tire, so I don't want to risk using them in the winter.

Read some reviews about Kumho Ecsta ASX, and most people say they perform well but don't last long.

I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but they do seem a bit pricey (~$180 on tirerack). I'm also considering Dunlop SP Sport Signature (~$110) since they seem to have good reviews. Does anyone have experience with those?

Last edited by R3N3G4D3; 02-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by R3N3G4D3

As far as General Exclaim UHP, they're a summer tire, so I don't want to risk using them in the winter.
I didn't beleive you when I saw this so i looked it up and sonofagun! they are classified as a summer tire. FWIW they work great in the snow as I had them on the car still for the first storm of the season. I do run dedicated snows in the winter, so I can't attest to how well or poorly the UHP's work when its 10 degrees out, but upper 20's and a couple inches of snow they were terrific.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

generals uhps here also great tires. had them on for over a year still going strong.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Based on my research, General UHP tires have the tread pattern suitable for snow but the compound still hardens in temperatures below 40 degrees (so they might be good for deep snow but will probably act like hockey pucks in light snow, especially with Syracuse winters that get below 0 deg F).

Will the car be able to handle 245/45/17 ExtremeContacts instead of 235/45/17, since those seem to be in stock? They're a little bigger, so I'm not sure if it will be too big

Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by R3N3G4D3
Will the car be able to handle 245/45/17 ExtremeContacts instead of 235/45/17, since those seem to be in stock? They're a little bigger, so I'm not sure if it will be too big
I'm in the same boat. How about 225/45/17?

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation