B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Whining noise

Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Whining noise

I drive a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T with around 75k miles on it. I’ve recently started to notice a whining, high pitched noise coming from the front. I assume it’s speed related since it comes on at around 40MPH and increases then with speed. It’s not a scratching noise. It’s not there when I drive slow, i.e. 20MPH. I recently changed over from my summer tires to my winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 (235/45-17), but wonder if these can make such a road noise.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

Need more info. Is it related to engine speed or car speed? Does it happen when in neutral? Could be turbos, power steering, a/c compressor. Does it only happen when car is moving - then it could be something in drivetrain (gear whine?) or tires.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your help! It’s related to vehicle speed, not related to RPM’s. Subtle whining noise (it’s not that loud) becomes apparent around 40MPH. Whining noise changes pitch (increase) with increased vehicle speed. It’s still there when I flip the car into neutral at say 40 or 60 MPH. It only happens when car is moving and do not hear it when car is stopped. Does not change if I turn steering wheel. It clearly comes on around 40MPH.

I had two independent mechanics listen to it earlier this week when I took them for a test ride. They both could not identify the sounds (heard it, but did not know what it was). I am almost convinced it’s tire noise coming from these Blizzak LM25’s, size 235/45-17 (fatty high performance winter tire, look up picture to see tire profile). It’s maybe the tread pattern that creates the noise? This is their second season and so they are relatively new (lots of tread left). I just changed over from my summer tires last week. But I’ve never heard a tire noise like this, so started to doubt if it might be something else. I will have to wait until there’s snow on the ground to see if the noise changes. In the mean time I wanted to run it by this forum. Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Whining noise

I too am experiencing this Whining noise that increases with speed & my Audi dealership was unable to identify it. I believe it's Turbo related, or some sort of vacuum leak. I just reached out to this forum today for more information as well

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2003 3.0 w/70k on it.
Started to get the same loud whine when I rev while driving and even slowing down it sounds like an airplane turning off.
I miss my turbo spooling from back in the day but its getting annoying.

This is all over the forums and no answers.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

The original post says the whine is related to vehicle speed and the last post says "when I rev when driving", which seems more related to engine speed. If it gets less/more noisey as the vehicle slows down and speeds up, look at tires and power train (axles, bearings, differentials, tranny). If you can cause the noise while the car is motionless by revving the engine, look at waterpump, alternator, or power steering pump. You may have to use a "stethoscope" -- a large metal screwdriver -- and place it against the part and your ear while someone revs the engine. [Darwin Award alert -- do not attempt this while the vehicle is moving.] Obviously the 1.8T and 2.7T could have another, expensive root cause.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

i have the same issue. i think on mine is the driver side bearing. i am gonna dig into it this weekend

Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

If it's a high pitched sound coming from the front of the engine, almost making you car sounding like it's supercharged, it is most likely your belt tensioner pulley . There is a bearing in there that on mine sounded exactly as has been described and when replaced the sound left with it. My recommendation is spending the extra cash and buy OEM.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I had same issue, Mechanic at Pepboy's said it is my car's rear left wheel bearing.
Search "Wheel Bearing issues b5 2.8Q" post in Audi forums, Somebody have some fixes.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Same Problem...

Did you ever get an answer to this from a mechanic or someone on this forum?

I have the exact same car (95k miles) and the exact same problem. To be clear, this is 100% related to the car's speed, not to engine speed. There is no whining at 5000 RPMs when the car is in neutral or accelerating, it is only when the car is going over 40 MPH.

Two other issues have surfaced in the last couple of weeks:
1) After a hard drive up the Pacific Coast highway, there was a harsh grating noise coming from the back left wheel well. This went away after a couple of days.
2) The car consistently vibrates at speeds of 65 mph plus.

I talked to one mechanic who thinks it's a fuel pump issue, but this seems a bit implausible. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whining noise