B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Windshield washer fluid is leaking, I can see the leak - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield washer fluid is leaking, I can see the leak - Help

I'll try to make this sound as simple as possible to better help you help me. Bear in mind I have a 2004 Ultrasport.

About a month ago I was driving at night with the headlights and windshield wipers on. I pulled the windshield wiper stalk toward me to spray fluid, which it did. A few seconds later, I got an indication on my instrument panel alerting me that my fluid was low. Okay, so refill it. Duh. Easy enough, right?

Wrong. I dumped in about a gallon and a half of windshield wiper fluid only to watch it leak out of the bottom of the car. Because of where the fluid was/is coming out underneath the car, I knew that it wasn't the tank that was cracked, so I began thinking a hose had popped off.

Sure enough, I pulled my driver's side headlight out today and dumped some water into the tank while shining a flashlight into the space beneath where the headlamp rests, and I was able to pinpoint the site of the leak. It's a little white (2-5mm diam.) tube that appears to have popped off of some sort of junction feeding the headlight sprayers.

My question is, how can I best get to this part of the car? I am afraid of removing my front bumper. My brother says I'll never get it back on the way it was before it came off. I want to try removing the front driver's side wheel and fender well to access it, but if any of you know that you cannot reach the area I am describing, please save me the hassle and speak up. Also, if anybody has a schematic of the area I'm describing, I would greatly appreciate that as well. Finally, if anyone has experienced this problem or one similar, I would like to hear what your story is/was and how it was dealt with.

I searched. Thanks!

-TS

Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Windshield washer fluid is leaking, I can see the leak - Help

I have that same problem, except I never bothered to get it fixed, because my stealership looked at it and said it was a check valve and I said sorry, I just paid you ******** $420 to do my 60,000 mile check up, including leak checks, and my car is gushing wiper fluid all over my driveway when I get it home, **** off.

I haven't been back there since. Which is Unfortunate because the dealer I have to go to now is 2 hours away. Oh well. Anyway, unless I am misreading you, you cant just pop the tube back on?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Windshield washer fluid is leaking, I can see the leak - Help

I just didn't know how to get to it. I popped the tube back on by reaching a hand through the driver's side headlight space and the driver's side front fender well, but now I have a slow drip leak coming out of the left side. It looks like I'll be able to fix that side by just removing the pass. side headlight. I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear about your dealership experience. Did you resolve your leak problem?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM

I am having this same problem but have not had the chance to pull the drivers side headlight off to see if my hose just isn't connected. I can't seem to keep my "low wiper fluid" warning off, even after pouring in a TON of fluid. It doesn't stay in there!

Anybody have any additional help or experience with this problem as stated above?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 AM

I had that problem also. The hoses are quick release. They have o-ring seals. Look closely and you will probably find a pinched o-ring. easy and cheap fix. Should be able to repair with nothing more than the headlight removal. Its tight though. Good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
4th Gear

I just squeezed my hand in there and reattached it. Hasnt leaked since.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

You can actually pop the little grill out around the foglight unscrew the light. The hose is right there.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by h1078
I had that problem also. The hoses are quick release. They have o-ring seals. Look closely and you will probably find a pinched o-ring. easy and cheap fix. Should be able to repair with nothing more than the headlight removal. Its tight though. Good luck
Have someone push the washer pump button while you look under the hood for the leak. Hopefully, it is under the hood and not under the cowl the hides the wiper motor.

Last edited by kurtdaniel1; 08-16-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
pgf
1st Gear

I had problems with mine too right after buying the car.
Elbow the connects to the windshield washer leaked. Shouldn't be a problem on the headlight washers though. There are several quick connects on this system that can leak. O-rings are the solution. There are also several clamps on the that braided poly-e hose. These shouldn't leak or come off. If they do, the easiest way to get to them is to remove the bumper.
The bumper will go back on the way it came off. It helps to have 2 people to guide it and hold it in place while tightening the nuts inside the fender wells.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

my Gfriends 2001 a4 wiper nozzles barely drizzles, yet no immediate leak signs when running the wiper pump for 20sec or so. perhaps it is pooling somewhere. was it easily visible, the leak or at least drips onto the ground? will try looking at fuse (read elsewhere 30amp better than 20) and of course a better leak check. hopefully not too difficult to remove the headlamp to check for hose elbows, leaks, etc.. how unlikely is a clog I wonder...so the pump is under the cowl? are the nozzles easily removed?? thanks!

Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid is leaking, I can see the leak - Help