B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2.0t 6mt WONT SHIFT INTO 1st gear once in a while?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.0t 6mt WONT SHIFT INTO 1st gear once in a while?

Sometimes my 6 speed manual tranny(car has 64,000 miles) wont shift into 1st gear it's weird...happens once in a while not sure why though D:<

like when i have to go into first because the light turned green...i push clutch all in n try n put into 1st put the shifter wont want to go in like something is blocking it u can tell ur forcing it so i just release clutch put back to netutral and try again

what could possibly be the cause of this?

thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Mine does the same thing on occasion. Not sure what it is either.

About a month ago I had my timing belt service done and the tech mentioned an error code was stored in the computer for a bad clutch switch but it seemed fine. I've been thinking maybe the switch is starting to go and has something to do with the occasional sticking shifter. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Damaniac311
Mine does the same thing on occasion. Not sure what it is either.

About a month ago I had my timing belt service done and the tech mentioned an error code was stored in the computer for a bad clutch switch but it seemed fine. I've been thinking maybe the switch is starting to go and has something to do with the occasional sticking shifter. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.
thanks bro! i'll try n check on that and let you know! and you do the same :b

Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

When my clutch switch went out, the car still shifted smooth, but the cruise quite and the engine raced and wouldn't drop down very fast after hitting the clutch making it really hard to match the RPM's. My Jetta use to fight going into first on super cold mornings the first time you put it in gear. Hit the clutch once more and it would go in.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

what exactly is the clutch switch? how much is that? lol

Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

EuropaParts.com: Clutch Pedal Switch (B6/B7) - 7H0927189

It sits behind the pedal near the top.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Being a lurker to the b7s so far, I'm not nearly as well versed on problems with them as I am with the b5s, so don't take this for full credit. Sounds to me like you might be up for a transmission fluid flush/replace. At least on the b5s, its recommended every 50k or so, especially if you're in stop and go traffic a lot or drive hard. But like I said, that very well might not apply to the b7s. Another thing to consider might be shifter linkage or possibly gear syncros starting to wear, both of which, as I understand it, and for any car- b7 or not- are caused by hard shifting, trying to stuff it in first at high rpms, and general frequent shifts due to repeated stop and go driving. Again, not sure how much use any of that might be, but it wouldn't hurt to consider.

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

The clutch switch was $85 installed at the dealer. It basically disconnects cruise when you hit the clutch, and tells the computer the engine clutch is depressed so that it helps you match the engine rpm.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like your syncro's might be going.

Take it to the dealer and explain the problem. You may still be under warranty, so they'll fix it for you.

My car had trouble shifting into 3rd gear from time to time. Dealer fixed me up with just an $85 "warranty" charge. Not bad to take the entire engine out of the car then drop the trans and open it up to swap out the 3rd gear syncro. It's just a thin piece of brass, so it's easy to be damaged. Especially if you've had to force your car into gear in the past.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Xarpolis nailed it, it is worn/wearing out syncros....

It is not a cheap fix if you have to pay for it as it basically involves taking out your tranny and rebuilding part of it so to speak from what I have heard, haven't had to do it to mine, couple questions for you to try to confirm this.

If you notice it wont go into first try pressing the clutch in and shift it into 3rd and then try putting it into first, did it go in easy? If so sounds like sychros as by doing this you are 'aligning' them up so it will slide in.

Also try this, while the clutch is depressed and you find it tough to shift into first, blip the throttle a little, like idle is 800-1K so say about 1200-1400 and try shifting it into first, did it help? If so it is probably sychros...

If you would be stuck footing the bill I suggest use the first method to get around it unless you want to drop the $K's it will cost to repair as if you force it in you are just causing more damage...

Tranny for 6MT is a closed system and from what I heard most Audi dealerships wont even touch it if you ask to change or flush the fluid as it is considered a 'lifetime' fluid which means if you have enough miles where you have to replace the fluid you probably need work on the trans.

Last edited by Ericcg82; 04-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.0t 6mt WONT SHIFT INTO 1st gear once in a while?