B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2.0T Cam Follower Failure: My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

Took my car in last week for the brakes ('07, 39K miles), asked the dealer
to check the CAM follower along with the "complimentary world class inspection".

And they said they can't do it until a CEL or loss of acceleration. I can't really
tell loss of acceleration, as it drives rather inconsistent, always has since I got the
car brand new(depending outside temperature, etc.? yet to figure out). Sometimes awesome, sometimes sucks.

Next service up in 3K miles, not sure they'll do it then either. May do it myself...

Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear

Even though, it's not hard to pull the fuel pump off and check it, it's still labor. The stealership isn't going to do anything like that unless you have a good reason or you're paying for the labor.

I'll be pulling mine myself in another 10k miles or so just to check it. Might replace my DV at the same time.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nlnfns
Took my car in last week for the brakes ('07, 39K miles), asked the dealer
to check the CAM follower along with the "complimentary world class inspection".

And they said they can't do it until a CEL or loss of acceleration. I can't really
tell loss of acceleration, as it drives rather inconsistent, always has since I got the
car brand new(depending outside temperature, etc.? yet to figure out). Sometimes awesome, sometimes sucks.

Next service up in 3K miles, not sure they'll do it then either. May do it myself...
they make more money when most of them last until just after warranty runs out, then they can get you for a new camshaft AND pump.

Instead of getting on the job, my stealer spent a day trying to figure out how he could show me as out of warranty (I still had 2 days left, and was under miles). I told him if my car hadn't been sitting undriven in his shop so much, I'd have gone out of warranty on miles.

Do it yourself, it is easy enough.

The shops that really know wtf are expensive and the stealership will charge you $85 to replace your wiper blades.

Last edited by SlackJaw; 06-18-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default UPDATE!, UPDATE! Warranty extension available! 10yrs-120K

So after reading this and other stories, the whole issue sounds like a horror waiting to happen. Thankfully Audi has extended the warranty on the Follower, Cam and Pump.

Contact Audi via email and inquire about the extension. Have your VIN ready.

The extension covers: Cam follower, cam and pump, oil i think also for a period of:

10 Years or 120,000 Miles

I printed the email from them as proof, for any dealer as it also has a case number.

I've read some just drive in and let the dealer do the work under warranty. Other dealers though wait till symptoms etc show, or after failure. Still since AOA pays for this repair, i would think dealers would be inclined to Bill and do the work.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience regarding the extension warranty.

My car is at 57,000 and plan on doing the replacement my self granted everything looks well and failure hasn't occurred. ECS tuning has a great kit for 62.00 with bolts, gasket etc. So i might get it there. Its OEM and the updated version.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear

I'd be careful about doing the repair yourself. It wouldn't take long for Audi to realize you changed out the follower, and effectively messed with the car. You could void the warranty. Besides if you change out to the new follower, you could cause the car to go longer than the warranty extention and have the big failure after it expires. But yep it is bad, mine was catastrophic at 108,000 miles. Ended up with a new pump, follower, intake and exhaust cams, as well as an entire new head. Close to $ 4,000 in repairs, on a car with lots of miles. All covered. I was worried enough that if it hadden't happend by the end of the warranty extention, I was going to dump the car just before and trade for a newer one.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:11 AM
Kex
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mezonesxbox
So after reading this and other stories, the whole issue sounds like a horror waiting to happen. Thankfully Audi has extended the warranty on the Follower, Cam and Pump.

Contact Audi via email and inquire about the extension. Have your VIN ready.

The extension covers: Cam follower, cam and pump, oil i think also for a period of:

10 Years or 120,000 Miles

I printed the email from them as proof, for any dealer as it also has a case number.

I've read some just drive in and let the dealer do the work under warranty. Other dealers though wait till symptoms etc show, or after failure. Still since AOA pays for this repair, i would think dealers would be inclined to Bill and do the work.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience regarding the extension warranty.

My car is at 57,000 and plan on doing the replacement my self granted everything looks well and failure hasn't occurred. ECS tuning has a great kit for 62.00 with bolts, gasket etc. So i might get it there. Its OEM and the updated version.
Hi I have a 2008 A4 2.0t and was wondering if it was covered by the extended warranty or if you can send me more info on the warranty

Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kex
Hi I have a 2008 A4 2.0t and was wondering if it was covered by the extended warranty or if you can send me more info on the warranty
if you have extended warranty best to check with them first. My 2008 a4 in the dealer right now for the same problem as the 2007 model 2.0 liter turbo motor. Audi of America tell me work with the dealer and dealer tells me work with Audi of America but what I sense is neither of them really cares. I'm disappointed because I worked for volkswagen/Audi dealership repairing this vehicle for 13 years. I told Audi of America it's the camshaft follower and high pressure fuel pump premature wear. Sorry we need a dealer to confirm that's the issue so now issue is confirmed but sorry we can't help you. The vehicle is out of warranty so I still have to pay for inspection that I already knew was the problem and told Audi of America I seen this problem in 2010 when still working at the dealership I quit in late 2013.

Last edited by r6forfun2008; 09-14-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Kex
1st Gear

Originally Posted by r6forfun2008
if you have extended warranty best to check with them first. My 2008 a4 in the dealer right now for the same problem as the 2007 model 2.0 liter turbo motor. Audi of America tell me work with the dealer and dealer tells me work with Audi of America but what I sense is neither of them really cares. I'm disappointed because I worked for volkswagen/Audi dealership repairing this vehicle for 13 years. I told Audi of America it's the camshaft follower and high pressure fuel pump premature wear. Sorry we need a dealer to confirm that's the issue so now issue is confirmed but sorry we can't help you. The vehicle is out of warranty so I still have to pay for inspection that I already knew was the problem and told Audi of America I seen this problem in 2010 when still working at the dealership I quit in late 2013.
Wow looks they both turned their back on you .. My car hasn't came up with anything yet but I just had the TCM replaced like 3 months ago and that was not cheap I just don't want it to come up with another expensive repair .. Here is a link to my YouTube video of my engine take a look at it and tell me if it's sound normal or something bad just waiting to happen thanks http://youtu.be/HO1DvC6JPZU

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kex
Wow looks they both turned their back on you .. My car hasn't came up with anything yet but I just had the TCM replaced like 3 months ago and that was not cheap I just don't want it to come up with another expensive repair .. Here is a link to my YouTube video of my engine take a look at it and tell me if it's sound normal or something bad just waiting to happen thanks http://youtu.be/HO1DvC6JPZU
Is the engine burning oil like a quart for every 2 times you fill up gas? That's like around 600 miles. If you are burning that much oil I would check the high pressure pump and camshaft follower because at idle the rattle noise does not sound right to me. Also did your fuel mileage drop? Because when camshaft follower and high pressure pump starting to wear you would notice the fuel gauge drops more when at idle.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kex
Wow looks they both turned their back on you .. My car hasn't came up with anything yet but I just had the TCM replaced like 3 months ago and that was not cheap I just don't want it to come up with another expensive repair .. Here is a link to my YouTube video of my engine take a look at it and tell me if it's sound normal or something bad just waiting to happen thanks 2008 Audi A4 2.0T engine noise - YouTube
It's hard to tell exactly how loud it is with you filming right in the engine bay, but it sounds a lot like my 2006 to me. Other than an evap leak that they can't seem to straighten out, I have no issues right now--I just had the cam follower checked at the dealership (my dime) a couple months ago and it looks brand new even though it's never been changed, so my HPFP and cam are not about to implode on me. These little TFSI engines are not quiet at idle.

If you really want to know, pull the HPFP and follower yourself or pay to have the dealership do it. Just be aware that you're technically supposed to replace the o-ring when you do.

Quick Reply: 2.0T Cam Follower Failure: My Experience