B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2006 A4, what to look for when buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A4, what to look for when buying

Hey guys, I have searched through this forum, and a couple of others, but i am still looking for some answers.

Currently I own a 4th gen SS Camaro, procharged, making roughly 520 rwhp.

My car is up for sale and I received a trade offer for a fully optioned 2006 A4 2.0t with 113k miles. The mileage scares me, because I have heard nothing but horror stories about the expensive maintenance and poor reliability of high mileage Audi's.

The owner states he has a binder of maintenance records and had the timing belt and water pump done about 9k miles ago.

What else is there that generally needs to be done, other than possibly PCV valve, coil packs, fuel pressure sender, and diverter valve? Are these things i listed generally expensive items? I can more than likely do all the labor myself.

One last question, what do you think this car would be valued at considering it is in near excellent condition cosmetically and up to date maintenance wise? KBB states about 10k, and a quick check on craigslist has them priced around 14-15k. What do the cars normally sell for?

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

With the timing belt done the only other item to worry about would be the turbo. I do not read much about them going out unless the cat had a tune on it. You are making a serious drop in hp coming into an A4. The plus side is you will make a serious mpg jump!

You didn't menation cam follower as those were defective on the pre-2008 (and some 2008 models). Only a $50 part and suppose to be pretty easy to change.

If in excellent shape $14k doesn't sound to bad considering the belt was done ($1400 to $1800 at the dealer and about $1000 an an independent).

My understanding is that Audis tend to be pretty buletproof cars well to the 100ks of miles (unless you happen to get a lemon which this doesn't sound like it is).

Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

I'll add cam follower to the list.

I'm pretty sure this car is about as stock as it gets. I'm looking forward to the boost in mpg!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Have a local Audi dealer run the VIN. The PCV, coil packs and pressure sender are usually recall items. Latest diverter valve revision is 'D' and runs about $70, not too difficult to replace. Cam follower is about $50 like Rhodes mentioned. But the cam follower, cam, and fuel pump are covered under an extended transferable warranty to 10 years or 120k. So you can do the cam follower yourself as preventative maintenance, or wait for it to go and have Audi replace all 3 items. But you're getting close to the 120k mark so at the very least I'd inspect the cam and cam follower, if the follower is really worn and seems to have damaged the cam, I'd have the dealer look at it and see what they can do. Usually they won't do anything without a CEL but who knows.

Carbon can be an issue depending on how the previous owner treated the car, so a top-end cleaning might be worth doing, or at least a couple seafoam treatments.

Agree about the drop in hp, but not too long ago I beat a new camaro ss, simply because it was raining so my Quattro gripped and took off right away while his wheels spun lol.

Cheers.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Check maintenance records. Possible problems for ALL A4's 2.0T's (2004-2008) PCV, DV, Cam follower. Also reports of carbon buid up (low speeds in the US I guess cause this?)Models made for 2007-2008 had a slightly updated engine (BWT) which improved the quality of some of these parts. I have spoken with Audi rep's here in Germany and the one shop I go to has only had 2 bad 2.0t's with Cam followers a 2006 A6 2.0T 170hp and a 2005 A4 2.0t 200hp. Both had in excess of 150tmls and were company cars. Bottom line, insure all maintenance records are up to date and the car was not beaten into the ground.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

I just ran a carfax on the A4 as a starting point, it is actually a 2005.5. The guy told me it was a 2006 because he had never seen a 2005.5 so he rounded up lol.

Anyway, the car has been through 5 different owners, there were no maintenance records about the cam follower or any of the recall items. I guess the next stop is checking with an Audi dealership.

The last tune up the car had, the following was done: oil system cleaned, new air filter, new timing belt, new water pump, new seals, new spark plugs, new coil pack, radiator flushed, and scanned the computer and checked for misfire which came out good.

Sounds like it is up to date or is anything missing?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Minus the cam follower it sounds pretty up to date.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear

5 owners in 7ish years and an introductory model-year (2005.5)? I'd probably walk.

$10-12k is probably fair for that, though. I guess it depends on what you value the Camaro at.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

the 05.5's (bpg engine code) seem to be extremely reliable. mine is. and i beat the **** out of mine all the time. just maintain it and youll be fine. id offer $9.5k and go from there.

what options? manual? navigation? cold weather package? bi-xenon headlights?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
5 owners in 7ish years and an introductory model-year (2005.5)? I'd probably walk.

$10-12k is probably fair for that, though. I guess it depends on what you value the Camaro at.
I ended up passing on the trade, the option is still there if I change my mind, the guy really wants my car. However, this guy drives 150 miles a day so the miles are going to be climbing fast.

fordyoz, the car has navigation, CVT tranny, headlights that turn with the tires (don't know what that is called), HIDs... most of the options available at the time. Also is FWD.

Quick Reply: 2006 A4, what to look for when buying