B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Pioneer Stereo Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket Pioneer Stereo Removal

I have a Pioneer AVIC970DAB (double din) radio in my car which is fitted into a double din fascia plate. I want to remove it but it just will not come out. I have the correct tools for removing the head unit but it feels like it is bolted into the cage. The tools click into place on either side of the head unit but it will not budge. The fascia will only move a few millimetres before also feeling like it is bolted into the dashboard. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this out? Could it be attached from behind somehow? Can I get behind it by removing the side panels of the centre console?

I am open to any ideas because this should be a simple task and its proving to be anything but!!!

Old 01-21-2020, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

@Richar Hallett is something wrong with that pioneer head unit? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the pioneer 1550. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This pioneer head unit review is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Any tips?

Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Hiya!

I did get the head unit out in the end but I had to cut the double din aftermarket facia plate out to do so! That is easily replaceable though!

I think the Pioneer head unit I have is brilliant. It's an AVIC-F970DAB. It has sat-nav, digital radio with a tuner built-in (Some are digital radio compatible but need an external tuner unit), FM radio of course and a CD/DVD slot. It has USB input and is fully iPhone and Android compatible. It automatically connects to my phone via Bluetooth for both calls and music. The best part is I can control the music on my phone from the head unit, and even from the steering wheel controls. My unit is fitted with a 'Connects2' interface which allows the use of steering wheel controls.

The problem I have with mine is that the colours have gone a bit odd. The green now 'bleeds' across the screen which makes some of it unreadable. All the other functions are OK. I am hoping I can get it fixed for not too much money as they are expensive to replace! I did Google the problem and got no hits at all so I don't think it is a common issue.

I hope this all helps you? I expect most units of all makers do the same but I only have experience of this one!

Rich.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

I also would also like to know how to do this! I bought an 2008 Audi A4 with an aftermarket stereo and I really want to convert back to OEM. So far I only found videos to show how to install but never how to remove an aftermarket stereo. I have a Pioneer Car Stereo AVH-X4800BS. Any help would be great to remove the Pioneer from my Audi A4!