B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Airbag fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Airbag fuse keeps blowing

The car is a 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro.

I was driving my car home from work and noticed the airbag light kick on. When I got to the next stop light, I turned off the car, then turned it back on. Then, I heard 3 long beeps, the Airbag light on, ESP light on, ABS light on and brake light flashing. They stay illuminated until I turn it off and it repeats this cycle on every start. After inspection, I noticed the airbag fuse was blown. I replaced it and it blew immediately again. The ESP button is not lit up, and the passenger's airbag disable light is completely off.

I have an OBDII scanner with Scantool.net software, but it doesn't seem to read anything beyond engine PCM codes as it shows everything's fine.

I'm not quite sure what to do - there has to be a short somewhere, but was wondering if anyone experienced this before? A search has shown similar issues, but none have had the airbag fuse constantly blowing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Forgive my ignorance on Audis and this is the first time I've worked on one. I went ahead and bought a Maxscan VAG405 scanner (I know, a mistake versus buying Ross-Tech's stuff, since it can't so basic settings) and was able to reset the codes and the airbag fuse stopped popping...so that issue seems to be okay now.

However, the Airbag light is still on and the scan shows one error, in the Airbag module (no other errors in any other module):
02511-228: Control module for seat occupied recognition (J706) sporadic 004-No signal/communication.

I've tried resetting it and it comes right back. I've tried unplugging and replugging, checking the pins and connection, etc. on the module that looks like this (I know it's a different year, but just for the picture reference): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Audi-A4...de73e9&vxp=mtr

The code pops right back up. According to the Ross-tech wiki, a basic setting needs to be performed. However, that doesn't make sense in my case. I have a few theories but don't know if they're possible:
1) The module crapped out for a second, or something happened to kill the connection, but once the connection is cut, I need to perform a basic setting to resync?
2) The module crapped out completely and I need to buy one and perform a basic setting?
3) The module crapped out and I can buy a new (or used) one and plug it in, reset the code and be okay?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Certified

I would check the wiring under the passenger front seat & make sure there there are no problems there. It is possible you have a bad seat occupancy sensor causing the fuse to blow.
Resetting the light does not fix a problem!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

The wiring looks good - everything looks brand new and in tact under there. I wiggled everything but that didn't seem to do anything. I eventually disconnected the module and scanned, then got 2 more errors, including an airbag circuit failure code and a second 02511, now saying no communication (instead of sporadic communication before). I'm not sure if that proves anything, but if I get a new module, will I need to buy the software to do a basic setting, or have to take it in for the dealer to do it?

Also, if the only code is 02511, does that mean that the airbags are completely inoperable? Or just the passenger's? Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Certified

Should just need to be coded to the vehicle. A Vag-Com or equivelent should do the trick.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Is there anything cheaper than the $350+ Ross-tech that can do this? Is this what "Basic Settings" does?