B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 or BMW 325?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Default Audi A4 or BMW 325?

I'm looking to buy one of the two and really starting to lean more towards the Audi but still have yet to test drive it. That said, I thought I'd ask a few questions from you guys to get your take.

First, is there THAT much of an advantage in getting a quattro versus a 2WD model?

Is there THAT much of a difference between a 1.8T and a 2.0T model? Seems as if there's a HUGE price difference between the two models in the used marketplace. Would I be better off simply buying a 1.8T and adding a chip?

I'm looking at an A4 2004-06 model, 2.0T quattro. As for the BMW: 325i, around the same year models. I'm looking for manuals. I've yet to test drive the Audi, and have driven several 325's. From what I've gathered on the internet so far in comparing the two, the general consensus is that the BMW is faster, built better, and handles better, but the Audi has a nicer interior.

So what made you choose the Audi? And was a BMW even a consideration when you were in the market? If so, why or why not? Both are beautiful cars so what's the deciding factor?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

I was in your shoes before when I was considering Audi, BMW and Mercedes. I picked the Audi for the following reasons:
-Quattro (I snowboard and it snows alot where I live) and ESP
-Best engine in it's class for many years (2.0T)...very powerful and fuel efficient
-Build quality. The Audi is made in Germany. I'm not sure if the BMW and Merc are. My buddies in Germany told me that Audi's better of the three. So I went with it.
-Awesome interior. It spoils me every time I get in.
-Double clutch auto tranny. Very smooth. However, I didn't test drive a BMW or Merc.

I've also heard that BMW has the best handling cars. If you were to go with the Audi, I'd recommend the 2.0T over the 1.8T. It's more powerful and efficient. Plus it's got all of the bugs worked out of it (coil packs). Mind you, a co-worker has a 2002 A4 (1.8T) and he's never had a problem with it. I'd also recommend the quattro, especially if you're around alot of snow. It feels like a tank in the snow.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear

I looked at Audi and BMW. My goal was decent priced CPO car. Even used I could not even come close to affording a BMW at the time. This was about a year and a half ago I bought my wife her 06. It was actually down to the A4 and Mercedes C230. I preferred the Beamer and Mercedes as far as comfort and accessory controls (AC). I got a fwd with CVT for about $22K and that was just crazy for a $35k car that was like 2 years old. The others were more expensive, beamer by alot and Merc just a little more.

To me or (my wife should I say) since it is her driver, the Audi just looks bad ***. So does the Merc but it only had like 170 or so supercharged HP so for the money the AUDI was a no brainer.

My only cons with the car is the CVT tranny that I hate and my wife is ok with. You said manual so you will be fine. And the AC controls seem very dated and are push button. Get into a 100 degree car and you have to click the temp button like 20 times to get it down. I hate that. Overall my wife loves it and I had the REVO trial for a couple days and chips Reeeaaaally open these cars up. Just don't think this car will be super fast because it is very heavy with all the safety features it has. Kind of a tank.

Basically I will be buying the new A4 when it's about 2 years old to save tons of cash. My next one will be AWD because i'm moving up north. It will be auto as well because thats just what the wife prefers for commutes although she is an excellent stick driver. They just keep getting better looking as do the Beamers. Mercedes got uglier though.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Default audi vs bmw

I test drove both and the bmw was just too harsh on city streets. The Audi had a much more comfortable ride for me.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM

I thought the BMW edged out the A4 a little in pep, but thought the A4 was superior in comfort. It had a more luxurious interior and gave a smoother ride. The quattro was a big draw for me because if you ever drive in snow, the difference between 2wd and all wheel is very substantial. Lastly, I figured that the difference in pep was close to negligible and I planned on getting an APR ECU chip for an extra 40 HP anyway so it wasn't a huge concern.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Between a 325i and a A4 2.0t I would go with the A4. Over here in Germany I have left quite a few 325i's trying to catch up on the autobahn. Also you can do so much more with a turbo engine than with a regular injection one. Between the 1.8T (163hp) and the 2.0TFSI, go with the 2.0t. The 1.8t is based on older tech while the 2.0t is the newer fsi tech which Audi is bringing to all of its gas engines now. Have you considered an A3 2.0t? These are a bit quicker than the A4. And as far as Quattro vs 2wd, it depends on where you live. Germans rate the 2wd A4 2.0t 6speed as the faster one (241k vs 235k) and 0-100 62mph 7.1 6mt to 7.6 Quattro. For more of a sporty ride/looks, check out the S line versions. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:17 PM
jnc
1st Gear

Been looking and driving both of them BMW was more powerful V6 while the A4 with the 4 cly 1.8 turbo But when the turbo kick in was very cool. both were 2006 bmw 143,000 while the Audi was 93,000 miles both were convertibles... The Audi ride was smooth and felt good on the road... also Audi I think is better looking just my opion

jnc