B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi newbie...looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Default Audi newbie...looking to buy

Hi guys, i've been lurking around the Audi forums for the past couple of days trying to gather up info on the B7 A4's.

My current car is an '07 GTI, and i'm looking to get an A4 in the next couple of weeks. I found 2 in my area that I am interested in, and just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think. I'm planning to take a look at them this Tuesday.

Car 1:
2007 A4 Quattro 2.0T
CVT Tranny
Red/Titanium Package
21,667 Miles
CPO
Dealer list at $27,995

Car 2:
2008 A4 Quattro 2.0T
CVT Tranny
Black/Titanium Package
Navigation
25,378 Miles
CPO
Dealer list at $26,995

What do you guys think of the price, and how much lower can I bargain? Also which would be the better choice?

I'm located in NJ/NYC area...planning to finance, good standing credit, and putting down $5k.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

It can be hard to talk down a CPO car a large amount.

I like black, my last two cars have been black, but black shows everything if not clean. It also can show scratches and chips easier, but I still like black enough to put up with those issues.

I don't think either of the cars you are looking at, have the CVT. Quattro's should have the 6 speed auto. Unless something changed that I am not aware of, the CVT is only available in front wheel drive. I only drive stick.

The low mileage of the 2007 makes me think it was possibly only driven on short city trips, which can sometimes lead to higher wear on stuff like brakes/rotors, starters, transmissions, etc.

Which ever one you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy it

Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Site Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to bargain at all.

Only FrontTraks have CVT

Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

1. If you have a GTI now (which I do) and want an A4 (WHich I also have) you will want to kill your self the first week. GTI's are 3-400 pounds lighter and it is quite a big difference in speed. If you had the DSG and are going to regular auto you will surely want to kill your self. You will hate it. I dread any situation that involved me getting into my A4 knowing I can drive the GTI.

2.Living up north you need Quattro. CVT's are definately only FWD. It will suck in the snow. I would only do this if you want an AWD car.

3. If you just wan an Audi I would recommend you just get an A3. You get the Audi syleing but the VW tranny option for the DSG. Awesome combo.

4. Titanium is nice.

5. Those prices are too high period. I paid those prices 2 years ago.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

doesn't the 2008 have a bit more power and alot more TQ than the 2007?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
doesn't the 2008 have a bit more power and alot more TQ than the 2007?
Onthe new 2009+ B8's have different specs. The B7 has kept the same 2.0 unchanged. (GTI's and A3's) had a couple different versions of the 2.0 though.

All of this can be fixed with a lovely chip.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna have to do more reading/searching, and look into the A3 as well.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ride79
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna have to do more reading/searching, and look into the A3 as well.
If you want an automatic the DSG in the A3 is the way to go. 3-400 pounds lighter on the A3 as A4's are heavy *** tanks. A3 will be noticably faster with that tranny and weight difference. And you already being used to having a hatch, it's tough to let that go.

If you want AWD though, the older A3's are only FWD unless you get the 6cyl engine. The brand new ones come in AWD for the 2.0t though so that's nice.

1. Do you want AWD?
2. Is the 2.0T needed?
3. Is Automatic needed?

Very few people like the CVT tranny so be weary.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM

AWD, 2.0T, and AUTO is a must, as I will be sharing this with my fiance. I haven't test driven the A4 yet, but the A3 is already looking like the winner. We'll see what happens...thanks again.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear

Just so you are aware, the A3 and GTI use a different AWD system. It is not permanently engaged at all times like that A4. The A4 uses a torsen center diff and is alway engaged. The A3 uses a Haldex system, that engages as needed. I think is was in 09 that it was tweeked for quicker engagement. See if the A3 you could be looking at has the version 4 Haldex. It was introduced on the Saab 93 in 08. The version 4 in the Saab engaged all wheels when the car accelerated from a stop, then disconnected the rear wheels when the car hit cruising speed. It does not have to wait for wheel spin like the older versions. Basicly the computer can cause the clutch to engage during certain conditions without having to wait for spin. I think version 4 might be what is on the A3 now. You will want to check to be sure. If you look at youtube video's of R32's, which are pretty much the same setup as an A3, you will see what I mean. When viewed from the side, you can see that the front wheels start spinning noticeably before the rears seem to engage in cars with the older Haldex.

Quick Reply: Audi newbie...looking to buy