B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Default brake pad

did anyone change brake pads on their own?

factory pad makes so much dust to the wheel

if it's easy, then I would just do it at home.
i searched for DIY but could not find it.

which pads dont make much dust and performs good?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

I have replaced the pads on my own...this is my experience

First off, you probably should go ahead and replace the rotors at the same time. I found a site (www.brakeperformance.com) that sold the rotors and the pads...you get free pads if you order their higher end rotors. Even their ceramic pads produce WAY LESS dust than the OEM pads did. I purchased their premium slotted and dimpled rotors and received their free pads for all 4 wheels.

Second...you MUST have the VW brake caliper reset tool. I tried a couple tools from the auto parts store to spin and push the piston back in but no luck. If you have the bentley CD manual, it will walk you through whichever brake system you have...the most difficult parts (and time consuming) was getting that piston in (again...would have been much easier if I had just had the right tool to begin with) and then getting the original rotor off..it took a bit of manhandling before it came off. Other than those items, it's fairly easy.

Also, another tip...I had about a 18" piece of wire that I used...it came real handy in holding up the caliper assembly while I was working on stuff. You don't want the weight of the assembly to be supported by the brake lines.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

It sounds as if the pistons will be the challenge on my B7.

I have always used a wire coat hanger to hold the caliper. Use the existing hook to hang it from the coil spring and then bend a large hook on the other end to support the caliper.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Suggestion - Don't let your rear brake pads get too worn.

If the piston is extended out too far, it is hard to get a tool in the caliper to retract the piston.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

What would constitute "too worn"? E.g., is there a thickness I should be looking at changing it, or just don't wait a long time after the brake warning comes on?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Well, your warning light on your dash only covers your front pads...not your rear.....so check every time you rotate! In my case, I had 20% left on the front and 5% left on the rear.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by aublutiger
Well, your warning light on your dash only covers your front pads...not your rear.....so check every time you rotate! In my case, I had 20% left on the front and 5% left on the rear.
You had more pad left on the front than the rear? Do you use the e-brake a lot?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I concur that ceramic pads create a lot less brake dust. Pads should be replaced when the are 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick. Typically rotors require replacement only when you have allowed the brake pads to wear down to the metal baking plate and you then have metal to metal contact on the rotor rather then brake pad material to the metal rotor or if the rotor is no longer flat. Rotor flatness or run out is checked with a micrometer.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clemsongt
You had more pad left on the front than the rear? Do you use the e-brake a lot?
yeah..every time I park....I have a MT6

Quick Reply: brake pad