B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Buying a 2006 A4, does it have problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Default Buying a 2006 A4, does it have problems?

Hey, I am an 18 year old college student and I am looking to update my car so I was thinking about a 2006 Audi A4. Does this car have "first year" problems? are there any huge problems with the car? Since I am a college student I do not want my parents to pay too much for maintenance.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
1st Gear
Default woo hoo

Wish my parent's would have bought this for me when I was in college...lucky dog! Anyway, I have a 2006 A4 2.0T M6 and have enjoyed every minute of it. I currently have 75K miles and the only trouble I have had was corrected by a free TSB the dealer performed...my CEL came on, a computer module code was given..I think P0006 if memory serves me correctly...but do not fear..it is a free TSB to fix and no troubles since. Since I have a manual, my mpg is 30 in the city and 35 on the interstate...that's a little higher than what most people with the CVT get...prob more like 28 in the city and 30ish on the interstate. The 2.0 L engine has been in use by VW for a while and they have only made it better by adding the turbo...its quick, nimble and a great ride.

If you like doing maintenance on your car, it's not that difficult if you buy a manual. I will say that it is a german car...and....it will be expensive when things break. For instance...the windshield will cost about $600 to replace....

Now...smaller things like trim and such have always been a weakness for VW/Audi. The plastic coating they spray on all their interior plastic parts will rub off...and some interior components like the latch for the arm rest will break....it just happens...this has happened on every VW/Audi i have owned for the past 15 years.

I will say, this car by far is the best I have owned ever....it is a great combination of performance and efficiency....and let's face it...its a damn sexy car...i've been very pleased

Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

just did another check with my cvt on a 650 mile ride today. at 79 mph (gps actual 75 mph) i got 32.5. MPG. WONDER WHAT I WOULD GET GOING 55MPH non stop? an audi is a good move..hey as a parent if they can afford it to do the maintenance for ya! car should last many years after college :-)

Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
e4c
1st Gear

id say its a great car, i love my a4(2006 2.0T automatic)! i may be a lil biased, this being my first car and all....
but everyone ive let drive my car agrees... and they always say "...its really hard to tell how fast youre going!" im sure its a lil more noticeable in manual with the shifting and all...
only downside is space... me being 6'4" and 280lbs i fit fine! but that leaves no room for anyone behind me....but if you really want to give people rides here and there you could go with a van :P ..... the trunk is fairly big tho haha
driving right the mpg is good..feels good to let loose tho
prices for an 06 arent bad...but like aublutiger said above me "it is a german car...and....it will be expensive when things break."

Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

how the hell does everyone get this great mileage! I am in a cvt rental.....i get 22 mpg MAX and that was on the freeway and on teh streets I am getting 16....

I must rape all the cars I drive =\

Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

Ha ha, guess so. I usually get around 20 city, extended highway driving around 30.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
e4c
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
Ha ha, guess so. I usually get around 20 city, extended highway driving around 30.
yeah thats about what i usually get....im sure if i drove better it would go up...
started to for a while..but now not so much....

Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Mpg

Well...I'm not sure why there is such a diff in gas mileage. I do have a 6 speed which helps i'm sure, I don't have the S line and I don't have quattro...maybe less weight without the AT and the quattro? I only use 93 octane from Chevron...

Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I've had mine since Apr 2006, it's a quattro 2.0T auto/tip and has 34,500 miles on it. No major problem, I take it to Audi for maintenance/service (free). The best my car has done was 39mpg....yeah 39. It was on our way home from KY to CA and my girlfriend was driving (it was my turn to sleep). I wouldn't have believed it but I saw it when we stopped and calculated it(twice to make sure). She didn't go over 70 and it was all hwy at night time. I'm very happy with this car, it is very well balance and comfy. You do need to keep an eye on the speedo when you're driving because 80mph feels like you're doing 40

Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

That's true about the speedo... when I first took an A4 for a test drive, I figured I would slow down after I got to about 50 going down a side street, but when I looked at the speedo I had hit 70.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2006 A4, does it have problems?