B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

CEL P2293 and P0088

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default CEL P2293 and P0088

Car hits limp mode after about 15 mins of driving.

Fault codes pointed at fuel pressure regulator (2) - which is the high pressure sensor on the fuel rail (allegedly).

Replacing that sensor didn't resolve the issue. which for me was the P0088.
It may have solved the P2293.

Last edited by VorsprungMonkeyTechnik; 04-23-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Post your codes, I think its more likely a hpfp and camshaft follower

Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 AM
1st Gear

I'll be doing the timing chain and tensioner in the next couple of weeks so I'll be checking the hpfp then.

Not convinced it is the hpfp as it is a fuel rail pressure maximum upper limit exceeded code (p0088) not a p0087 - which is linked to cam follower/lobe wear.
If it was the cam follower it would throw either only a p0087 or both p0087 and p0088.

After much gnashing of teeth I'm inclined to think it's due to the timing chain being stretched and the tensioner being worn out.

If you consider that the intake camshaft would operate the hpfp plunger a fraction early due to the stretch in the chain then......yeah I dunno.

Could still turn out to be the hpfp built in regulator so I'm not ruling it out by any means and I appreciate someone finally replying.

If I find anything I'll post back here with a detailed rundown of what was happening, the various codes and what it took to sort it.
I don't take my cars to garages or dealerships so if it gets fixed for sure I will have an answer to post.
My car has a roller follower conversion (allegedly, I haven't checked to confirm it)

I don't use VCDS these days, I make do with OBDeleven. Got tired of twatting about with VCDS then finding when I got a newer car it needed a new (expensive) cable to use CANBUS instead of K line like my older cars did.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

Im fairly new to these engines, but, doesnt the chain just operate the oil pump and fuel pump and timing is controlled in the front with a belt? The hpfp isnt timed at all it just pumps fuel using a diaphragm operated by the cam and then the regulator controls from there?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

I know what you're saying about people replying here. If you got a sec go thru and answer some questions for some folks, see if you might could help someone else out too. Maybe others will begin to help out more after their stuff gets fixed.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Tatayandand -
These engines are a strange setup:
The exhaust camshaft is run and timed by a belt at the front using the crankshaft as normal.
The intake camshaft is run by the exhaust camshaft using a chain at the rear of the engine, valve timing is adjusted using a hydraulic adjuster as part of the camshaft sprocket on the rear of the exhaust camshaft.
The HPFP runs directly off the intake camshaft via an extra cam lobe on the end of the intake camshaft.

After much consideration I decided to just go ahead and get a new HP fuel pump, LP sensor and cam follower bucket/tappet.
Turns out the previous owner was mistaken, car has a normal follower not a roller one.
Lobes on the intake camshaft for running the HPFP are in good shape, literally, not rounded off, no sign of wear at all strangely.
The cam follower is in one piece but definitely needs replaced as it's well worn.

Last edited by VorsprungMonkeyTechnik; 04-21-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Ah ok, now it's makes much more sense. I would definitely do a chain then. Doas anyone make an upgraded chain for these? I notice it's pretty common at 180k I may need to do it soon myself.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Know what you're saying about doing your own work. Make sure its done right the first time so you wont be doing it again plus more later.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

No idea if any upgraded chain is available, hopefully someone else knows.

I'd love to say I'm better than a backstreet hack idiot teen in his first week on the job but TBH I f*** up as many times as the next man. Just hate paying for the privilege. If it's going to be done wrong and half baked then I can do it myself and save a few quid and get some upside down on my back exercise without the happy ending.

At least fitting this stuff will either work or it won't; that's a certainty I can work with. (< free tagline)

Guess I'll report back in a few.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Last edited by VorsprungMonkeyTechnik; 04-23-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: CEL P2293 and P0088