B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Changed my DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default Changed my DRLs

I switched out my stock DRLs for xenon match bulbs ($6.99 at http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=527). This is pretty simple, but here's a DIY for the folks like me who would rather see it done first.

First, an overview shot from later on in the process to set up the location. The DRLs are the inner bulb in the bi-xenon headlights.

First, take off the wiring harness. Press the tab with a flat-head screwdriver to release it, and pull the harness off.

Next, take this cap off. Just press down on the top tab, as shown in the second picture below.

Then reach in and twist the white bulb holder counterclockwise a bit, and it will come out.

Here's what the new bulb looks like.

Put it into the bulb holder (without touching the glass... I used a cotton cloth), reinsert the holder, and twist clockwise to lock. Here's what it looks like installed.

Here it is on.

The stock DRL is much brighter... but also much yellower. And... I need to get some Scratch X on there.

Comparison shot.

In summary, this is pretty easy, costs less than $20, and looks a lot better! On the passenger side you'll have to take of the intake snorkel to access the bulb, but that's also trivial. These bulbs look pretty sweet, but unfortunately they aren't very bright... I'll probably replace them with LEDs at some point.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Bringing a thread back from the dead here, but just did this also, and like it. However, what is the little halogen in the DRL "compartment" and why does that come on, and the DRL go off, when the headlights are turned on? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

That's the city/parking light. DRL's are only on when the headlights are not on. The city/parking light is on whenever the headlights are (and if you move the selector to indicator lights position).

Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

AH, those are the city lights I've read about. Hm I've always thought of parking lights as the amber turn signals. Crazy Germans ha (I can say that because I'm Germish!). Is there a way to disable those? The tiny halogens look a bit awkward when the beautiful xenons are on, IMO.

I cracked off one of the locking tabs on one of the wiring harnesses...D'OH! I'll have to keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't vibrate out. Hm maybe I'll try supergluing it back on..hmm...

sort of off topic, but IIRC you recently swapped out to LEDs, no? If this is done, diodes/resistors (I forget which) are a must, correct? Thanks.

Sometime soon when I have some time (which seems like never in my life), I plan on reading all the threads in this forum so I don't have to ask all these 'trivial' questions. But, hey, if repeat questions weren't asked, a message board would eventually become moot, right?! Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

Nah, I never bothered to put LEDs in the DRLs. Here's a guy who did, though: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/414268-DRL

I think for the city lights, you'd have to remove the bulbs, and then put a resistor across so you don't get a bulb out warning. I'm with you that they look retarded, though.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Oh, cool, thanks! For some reason, my work network totally F's with the formatting of audizine and makes it almost unbearable to visit, but no other message board I visit is like that - I've been on plenty (not that I go on message boards often at work, though! haha). It's fine on my home computer, which leads me to believe it's the network firewall or something. Dunno, but thanks for the link!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Sorry for bringing this old thread up from the basement, but did any of you guys ever get LED bulbs for your DRL's? I want to buy a set, and I just can't seem to find a bulb with a built in resistor that won't throw codes in my face. I did buy led replacements for my city/parking lights from ecstuning. Haven't installed them, so I can't tell you anything yet, but now I need those DRL's badly. I want all my lights to match damn it.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Installed my city lights, and they look great, but in the process I dropped that big cap that goes over the opening where all the wires and the bulbs are. It fell down in the engine compartment all the way to the under panel. I tried driving back and forth and stopping abruptly, but couldn't get it to roll out. Can anyone give me a part number so I can order one? I think it'd be simpler that trying to get it out.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Never mind, found it. Crisis averted. I thought it would've fallen out during driving, but it was still there. I ended up just unscrewing one side of the under tray and flexing it to grab the stupid thing.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Bulb number

Hello-

What is the OEM bulb number for the DRL/ city lights? I've seen other threads that have mentioned 1157, 1156 bulbs. Which one is the correct bulb. They look similar, but must have some difference. Would Silverstars be as bright?