B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Cold Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Cold Start Issue

I just bought my first car and bought a used 2006 Audi A4 2.0T over the summer with 58k miles from a private owner. This was my dream car just love Audi's and always wanted one.

I have not had any problems with the car since i bought it in the summer. As soon as it got cold outside around the freezing temperature it stated having problems when i start it. When i go start the car after it has sat outside for a few hours it starts really rough and jitters. Almost like the engine is misfiring or something. Once the car warms up the problem disappears. There have been no check engine light or anything like that. Anyone have any idea what it could be? any advice would be very helpful thanks.

On a side note the car also seems to have a little vibration when at idle at a stop light, Any idea what this is? Did some research on other forums and some said this is normal for these cars?

Last edited by rmiller; 12-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

The 2.0t is not the smoothest idling engine. They do have a little vibration at idle. I wonder if you are getting moisture in the coils. My Jetta could do something similar when moisture got into the coilpack. It disapeared when the engine warmed.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Going to drop the car off at a local mechanic. We will see

Last edited by rmiller; 03-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

I brought my car into a local mechanic for the 55k service and had him look at the car to try and figure out whats wrong with it. He changed the plugs and did what ever was needed for the service. He pulled a misfire code off the comp. After putting in the new plugs and running the car for a few days. It was still having problems pulled the plugs said the car was running rich. He said he did a vacuum test and tried a new mass airflow sensor. He said it brought the idle down a little bit.This still did not fix the problem. The funny thing is the car started better before the new plugs, turns over more than it should to start. We are starting to get warmer weather and when the car starts it dose not jitter as hard. He told me he called Audi and that they said the car needs to be re flashed to update the comp to pick up new codes as for the coils, they were replace by Audi 10 months ago. After doing some of my own research I think it might be a fuel injector but im no mechanic by any means. What do u guys think. Dont have any idea what Audi is going to charge me if i drop it off.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

there's nothing wrong with the engine. at cold start up it's a little rough until warmed up. during the winter, use mobil 1 0W-40 since it's the best oil for cold startups.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
there's nothing wrong with the engine. at cold start up it's a little rough until warmed up. during the winter, use mobil 1 0W-40 since it's the best oil for cold startups.
So it is normal for the car to jerk and shutter violently when its real cold out until the car warms up. can't see that being normal considering none of my parents car do this and they have had fords, cadillacs and chryslers. This is supposed to be a luxury car?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmiller
So it is normal for the car to jerk and shutter violently when its real cold out until the car warms up. can't see that being normal considering none of my parents car do this and they have had fords, cadillacs and chryslers. This is supposed to be a luxury car?
an inline 4 cylinder turbo will not run as smooth at idle like a v8 does. do a search on rough idle and you'll find alot of people aren't used to it. the on-board diagnostics are sensitive and would indicate an issue if there was one. the cams must have some decent lift or overlap. it's a moody engine too. sometimes i have an idle at stop lights that's not even noticable. other times, it's a bit rough. the v6 a4s certainly don't get rough idle complaints.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
an inline 4 cylinder turbo will not run as smooth at idle like a v8 does. do a search on rough idle and you'll find alot of people aren't used to it. the on-board diagnostics are sensitive and would indicate an issue if there was one. the cams must have some decent lift or overlap. it's a moody engine too. sometimes i have an idle at stop lights that's not even noticable. other times, it's a bit rough. the v6 a4s certainly don't get rough idle complaints.
I understand that i will get a little vibration from at idle and i do get that i am just trying to figure out why the car feel like it misfires and feels like the engine is going to blow up when i start it until it is warm. Talked to Audi and it said that the computer is using a real old version of the software flash. Thats why it is not coming up.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem with my A6. I have taken my Audi in about 4 times now for the same issue. They have replaced the tranny, did throttle body adaption, cleaned out the engine, check for leaks and to stop the cold start misfires all they do is add gas cleaner which only helps for 4-5 days then same issues again. It seems like they don't have solution to this problem or they are not willing to fix what needs to be fixed. I just got the car back today and notice how bad it vibrates on idle it didn't vibrate like this before and the engine seem to run rougher.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

are you guys getting your cars maintained at the dealership? they update the ECU if required. are you maintaining it often? how's the air filter? if the air filter is too dirty it will make the engine run rough.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issue