B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Does the 2007 A4 have an auxilary jack inside?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Does the 2007 A4 have an auxilary jack inside?

Just wondering if my Mp3 player will work inside. I cant seem to find one.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM

The only car I know with auxilliary jacks is the Mach 5.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

alot of the fords, bmws and toyotas do

Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear

No. My peeve is my expensive wifes Audi has no jack.

My cheaper VW has one. Same company here. What is wrong with them?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM

How expensive is your wife?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

The 2007 models do not have an auxiliary jack, but DO have the capability to add one to the factory radio.

I wired up my own and it cost me about $10 in parts. Here's a very GENERAL overview.

Thing's you'll need:
3 - Audi Repair Wire Female - part #: 000-979-009 http://www.nsxjr.com/partpix/000-979-009.JPG -- buy an extra while you're at it
Audi Radio Removal Tools
(4) Audi radio removal keys - http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...ND_42_002.html
Solder, soldering gun, etc... or electrical tape if you're lazy.
1 6ft Miniplug (3.5mm) to RCA cable.
Access to a VAG-COM

If you pull out the radio using the removal keys you can see the wiring diagram. It looks like this:
Name:  jC4xw.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  42.2 KB

You'll see there are labels for "Aux-L" and "Aux-R". Unplug the harness from the radio and push some new pins (the repair wire with pins attached, they should snap right in) into the holes that line up with what's shown on the diagram.

Also add a new pin by doing the same thing for the "Aux-|||" symbol. This is the ground. You should now have 3 new wires sticking out from your harness. Plug it back into the radio.

Now you can take a standard RCA to mini plug cable and cut the red (right) and white (left) ends off and strip away a generous amount of cable. The inside of the wire is the positive; the metal "shielding" or outside of the wire is negative. Connect the positive of the red wire to the new connection you made on your radio for the RIGHT side; do the same thing with the positive of the left side.

Now you want to connect the negative sides of the white and red (the outside shield) both to the "Aux-|||" wire.

Hook everything back up.

Lastly, you'll need to activate the Aux input through the VAG-COM. Just look around, it's pretty easy to find.

That's it! Now when you press CD twice it comes up "Ext. Source" in the display and you can plug anything you would like in.

Brian

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

I am thinking of trying this but with a 3.5mm female jack instead of male. I was thinking of mounting the jack in the small compartment above the row of buttons above the radio. I'll have to pull the radio to see what's back there first though. It looks like it would fit a small MP3 player perfectly and hide the jack too.

I know you probably didn't take pictures but I would love to see how the repair wires are soldered to the RCA wires. Maybe it'll be obvious after stripping the RCA cables how you would accomplish soldering the Aux ground to the two RCA cable jacket grounds. Did you do some kind of pigtail?

I am curious too if someone can tell me how long the repair wires are? Then I could know how long of a 3.5mm to RCA cable to buy.

Seems like an easy mod that the worst thing you can do is screw up some $10-20 worth of cable.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

So, my thought now is to get something like this:

It's a called panel-mount 3.5mm stereo jack. It accepts a mini-headphone jack on one side and then it has a L, R and common ground solder tab on the back. It's threaded so you can just drill a small hole, push the jack through the back and tighten it with a nut. You'd need to solder the three repair wires (or leads to those wires if they aren't long enough). Then you'd get a mini-plug to mini-plug cord to go from the headphone jack into the jack mounted somewhere in the car.

This should make a nice clean install. Now I just need to order the parts and see if any of my neighbors has a soldering iron .

Last edited by Dougie Fresh; 02-18-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Is there a better place than the dealer to buy these Audi repair wires? Anyone know a good website. I haven't had any luck Googling so far...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Order?!?! You should be able to pick those up at Radio Shack.

Quick Reply: Does the 2007 A4 have an auxilary jack inside?