B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

ECU logging

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default ECU logging

Hello friends, old and new- some of you may remember me, some may not. I've been away for some time, but now I'm back and could use some insight from anyone, especially techs, that has ever done any ECU logging/monitoring. I am currently stock all the way around (ignore what's in my signature line, I have a new B7 for reasons I'll explain in a different thread later) and have recently invested in a Bluetooth OBD reader to use in conjunction with the Torque app in Android.

I've used this for about a week now to keep a *general* eye on how my 2.0t is running and I say general because I realize that a cheap eBay adapter and a phone app is bound to have compromised accuracy in comparison with actual gauges, VCDS, or even a wired OBD scanner that would be able to read values much quicker than the data transfer rate of Bluetooth.

That said, I was just wondering if anyone can provide a list of accepted values that one would call 'normal' for a mostly stock car (upgrades that this one has are mostly cosmetic, the only mech mods done (afaik anyway) is a cone filter to tickle the rice in me and an upgraded snub mount.

Things of higher curiosity to me are:
-Air/fuel ratios (idle, under load, under boost)
-Fuel Rail pressure (at idle; curious because intuition tells me that if something isn't right with the pressure at idle, it could indicate cam follower wear/imminent failure)
-Long term and short term fuel trims (I have a general idea of what these numbers represent, but not the slightest clue what is considered 'normal')
-Boost/vacuum pressures. I know full boost on a stock turbo/tune is supposed to be around 9psi, but what is normal for the vacuum presures and what are abnormal boost spikes most likely indicative of?

I'll gladly take any input on other things I should keep an eye on as well; just tell me what to watch and where its supposed to be. The Torque app has a lotttt of sensors it can read (for anyone that's never played with it) and some that it can't. For example, it has the option to read the oil temperature, but it doesn't work on my car. Not sure if its unsupported by the app, or if I need to manually enter the OBD PID that is associated with the oil temp sensor. I would like to be able to monitor the oil temp though, especially on any road trips I take over the summer in blistering temps, so anyone that could help with getting that reading to pull would be a great help.

Thanks in advance to any and all assistance!

Last edited by A4Cragman; 03-12-2014 at 01:27 PM.