B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

good cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Default good cold air intake?

Hey guys I am wondering what you think the best cold air intake is for a 07 b7 audi a4 2.0 quattro is. I have seen a ton of the AEM one does anyone know if thats worth it?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

don't bother with a CAI for the 2.0T. it doesn't add any performance.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

don't bother with a CAI for the 2.0T. it doesn't add any performance.
i agree, i can't tell you how baffled i am (though i've just recently come to this conclusion) at how many people own the $350+ carbonio CAI and yet it's been proven to maybe at best add 2-3hp which you won't notice.

just get a K&N or ITG drop-in filter for your stock airbox, it's already well-designed and very efficient.

no point in cooling down the air that's heated again by the turbo and cooled by the intercooler. CAI's only really help N/A cars

Last edited by prospero; 04-16-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by prospero
i agree, i can't tell you how baffled i am at how many people own the $350+ carbonio CAI and yet it's been proven to maybe at best add 2-3hp which you won't notice.

just get a K&N or ITG drop-in filter for your stock airbox, it's already well-designed and very efficient.

no point in cooling down the air that's heated again by the turbo and cooled by the intercooler. CAI's only really help N/A cars
i heard CAIs for tubos are completely useless. 0 HP gains. same thing with the K&N.

i tell you guys; these audi's come from the factory without a bottleneck. about the only thing that the aftermarket has is a leaner air/fuel chip tune.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

well i wouldn't say that... different CAI have different results...

some even make you lose HP:
http://www.mjbmotorsport.com/id107.html

Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

omg i hate this debate!!!!!!!

once and for all....lets take a logical approach.....you have an engine....lets take....oh lets say the 2.0 turbocharged fsi audi b7 engine......which works by spinning a turbo which sucks in air through the air filter and and shoots it into your engine at aorund 12 to 14 psi.....

think about that for a minute.....why would u ever need a CAI if the idea of cold-air is that it is there are more oxygen molecules in cold air then hot air (cause of hot air tending to expand and what not) ok the colder the air, the more oxygen, the more power in the combustion, thus more horsepower....totally makes sense

cept for the whole turbo charged part where no matter how cold or hot the air coming into the filter is is just going to be pressurized anyway and shot into your engine with a pressure NOT a vacumn

so lets explore options....carbonio...which claims you see 2-3 horsepower.....for 400 ******* dollars?!!? are u insane!? i invite anyone who is considering the carbonio intake to please....PM me and send me the check for 400 dollars so that i can videotape myself lighting that check on fire and watching it burn because essentially you are throwing away your money for a 30 dollar piece of carbon fiber

and please to all the people that say "idc about performance it looks cool in the engine"...i say politely ....you are idiots if u wanted a good way to spend 400 dollars and have it increase the look of your car go do the LED headlight assembly which looks baller btw....i don;t think i ever said how awesome that headlight thing is....but its killer....i'd even go as far as saying that mod looks better then b8 factory headlights

which i think the guy is doing it for 200 dollars which leaves u with another 200 to get the carbon fiber exhaust thing which also looks cooler....all im saying is that i have never parked my car and then opened up the hood while i went to run my errands....case in point the only people who will see your carbonio intake are the people u meet at car shows who already think ur an idiot for spending 400 dollars on nothing

to reply to the guy above me....he is 100% correct any intake other then the carbonio you will notice hp decreases....the reason for this is because the stock air filter box is very well sheilded from the engine....the other CAI's feature little to no heat shield....and this may come as a shocker to somepeople but engines tend to get hot.....idunno why but they just do...and ur intake is not sheilded from all that heat the filter is going to suck up all that hot air which completely defeats the purpose of a CAI

stick with the factory airbox.....it is increidbly well engineered, and it does not need any more additions to it....however for 30 dollars get a K&N air filter and put the sticker on ur airbox because when you drive down to waterfest this summer and open your hoods to show it off the real car people will be like "oh hey....that guy didn;t spend 400 dollars on nothing....he must be cool" (NOTE fact.... that will happen)

CMD, this isn;t about you so don;t take offense to it...but like every other day someone comes on here talking about some god awful reason to get a CAI and why its a good/bad idea

result :CAI's are a bad idea for ANY FORCED INDUCTION vehicle....spend your 400$ elsewhere...or mail it to me your choice but don't give carbonio the cash because they are laughing at you...i know this, i have seen this, you don;t want this

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah... save up and get a better IC instead.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 PM

well I am gonna get a chip to but ive heard you need a CAI and later on a stronger DV or else you can hurt your car with the chip. My freind drives a a3 with the 2.0 T and he has some CAI and now a new DV cause the chip broke the stock one. Can the stock intake handle the chip fine?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

I feel kinda stupid cause I just started a thread about chips and intakes questioning intakes and what not...and in the past few days I learned about the 2.7T engine and that an intake is retarded. I had the K&N in my car for years now and just recently cleaned it, great filter. Anyway just wanted to say that dmfan016 that reply was hilarious hahahaha lol

Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 AM
1st Gear

In my book, a mod is a mod........ Whether it's for you or not isn't the issue it's up to the purchaser. Do people need 22" rims, in my book no but, that doesn't make it useless to the person buying them. If someone wants a CAI for whatever reason so be it. How much of a performance gain do A4's get with 19" tires and rims?!? And those cost a heck of alot more. As long as the purchaser doesn't come on bragging about how their CAI has them gaining 20HP and .5 sec in the 1/4mile why is it such a big deal. Each member here spends "their" money on what they deem fits their taste.

Quick Reply: good cold air intake?