B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

How to enable Trip Computer (MPG) and parking sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default How to enable Trip Computer (MPG) and parking sensor?

Guys, three questions:

a) I see lots of information on the display on the front panel of my Audi. I clicked a "reset" buttom and I see "Trip information" checked for miles per gallon (MPG) information. However, I can't see how many miles per gallon I am getting there. I see lots of information such as "Temperature", "MPH", "figure showing when I open a door". What do I need to do in order to visualize the MPG information? In the list of features presented by the dealer, "trip computer" was included.

b) Reading my manual, they talk about "parking sensor". How do I know if my vehicle is equiped with that? I already attempted to park near an object and I heard no signal. I am just wondering if that is something I should enabled, in case my vehicle is equipped with that rear parking sensor.

c) Finally, if I want to find a list of all options included in my car, how can I do that? Is Audi able to give me that information if I provide the VIN number?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
rmh
1st Gear
Default RE: How to enable Trip Computer (MPG) and parking sensor?

re: (a)
the rocker switch on the end of tour wiper lever should let you scroll through the trip information
re: (b)
if you have a series of round "dots" on your rear bumper you may very well have the rear parking sensor.
re: (c)
VIN Codes can't always tell you all of your options, however go to these sites to learn more, and to enter your VIN.
http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/decoding-your-vin
and
http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm
and
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/VINcode.html

Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: How to enable Trip Computer (MPG) and parking sensor?

Depending what package came with your car:
2006: technology package(bi-xenon, color trip display(displays mpg), memory seats, bluetooth), for 2007, it was called Convenience package. If you don't have this package, then it will only display "miles to empty" info
The parking sensor I believe was an option on its on

Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Default Parking Sensor

Parking sensors are a technology that allows the driver of an automobile, truck, or commercial vehicle to be alerted to nearby objects in their path. Parking sensors are also known as backup sensors, parking sonar or just sonar depending on the automaker. While there are variations in the design and features of these systems, the basic design puts sensors in the vehicle's bumper or on brackets. These sensors send ultrasonic waves at 40,000 times per second that detect obstacles behind the vehicle. A controller installed inside the vehicle then receives the signal from the sensors and transmits it to a speaker that emits a tone, or to a combination speaker and display unit. As it results, the first invention of ultrasonic Parking sensors has been invented in Italy by electronic Engineer Massimo Ciccarello and Professor Architect Ruggero Lenci.

==========
josh smith
==========
Parking Sensor

Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

if you back up in the garage and hit the wall.........your car does not have parking sensors.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
rmh
1st Gear

You can also find out what options your Audi was built with by looking at the little white sticker in your spare tire wheel well (nearest the right rear tail light).

From that sticker write down all of the 3 character codes (better yet, take a good close up photo of it). I don't believe any of the codes have a capital Oh in them, I believe the codes contain zeros.

Enter those codes in column A of the "list your codes" tab in the attached spreadsheet. Column B will contain text of what that code means.

If you get "#N/A" in column B, you entered the code wrong, or it is an unknown code. Try replacing that L with a 1, or that zero with a capital Oh, or vice versa, etc...

Edit: The zip of that spreadsheet is larger than 97.7K (the max zip file size). PM me with your email address if you want a copy of the spreadsheet, or if you can host it for downloads.