B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Intro - Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Intro - Help?!

Hey all,

I am coming from an Infiniti G37s coupe. I was buying a new home and needed to get rid of the car payment, so sold that and bought a 2006 A4 2.0. After driving for 90 miles the CEL popped. I scanned and found a P0455, and researched to find the N80 valve was the suggested solution. Meanwhile I noticed a small oil leak from drips on my driveway. I immediately called the dealership only for them to tell me that an oil leak is a common issue with German cars, and is not considered mechanical. I argued and argued, but they basically told me I was SOL. Instead of arguing more, I decided to tackle the problems myself otherwise I would need to find a lawyer.

Anyway, after replacing the valve and resetting the code it came back on after 100 miles. I got it scanned again and it was the same code along with P2181, cooling system performance. I purchased a new gas cap and replaced that. I read something about the P2181 issue down to the temp sender and reset the code leaving it at that. After 150 miles it just came back on. Any advice?

Also regarding the oil leak. I do not have an under belly cover thing since the previous owner removed it I assume. This obviously made me notice the leak sooner than I would've without it. It seems to be inside the timing belt cover. I noticed the leak was above the oil pan gasket, and after popping off the cover it was pretty wet inside. The valve cover gasket looks ok though... Any advice on that would also be appreciated.

Last edited by breftayka; 05-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Have you gotten the p0455 code since replacing the gas cap? When I had this code I replaced both the purge valve and gas cap and haven't gotten the code in over 3,000 miles.

The coolant temperature sensor is usually the first thing to replace with a P2181, other than checking coolant levels. It's a cheap part and fairly easy to replace. That solved my P2181 code. After that you're talking thermostat and/or waterpump, in which case you might as well have timing belt service done if it hasn't been done already since those are commonly replaced during that service.

Are/is there oil drips/residue around the oil fill cap? That's a sign of a failing PCV valve, but I don't know if it would actually cause that much of a leak to actually drip. Mine never dripped, but I had a lot of residue around the cap and PCV. There is a recall on the PCV on some B7's. Might want to have another dealer check your VIN for recalls in case the previous owner did not have them done, as was the case with my A4, and along with a new updated PCV revision I got new coil packs and fuel pressure sender

Perhaps others might have a better idea as to the source of the oil leak, but when I read your post it sounded very similar to the little issues I've had with my A4 over the past few years.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Damaniac311; 05-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

I had a drip when my PCV was bad. The oil would pool in the bolt holes of the value cover and then drip out. Replaced the PCV and no more oil drip. An oil leak is not normal. What is normal is some oil consumption (various dependig on who you ask).

Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. I will check up on your suggestions and report back.

I was going to scan it again today and see the new codes. I called the dealership and he mentioned the PCV was under warranty, but also mentioned if that wasn't related to the CEL i would be paying $100 diagnostic. He also scheduled me for a $160 oil change stating they would use synthetic oil. Yikes.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Scanned the codes again today and it's the same two codes... I'm pretty sure the PCV is bad as when I come to a stop it feels like the car is about to stall. Back to square one I suppose.

I called my Audi dealership and made an appointment for diagnostics next week.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

And the oil is coming from around the crank, so I'm assuming front main seal. Argggghhh. I see why the previous owner traded in.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by breftayka
Thanks for the input. I will check up on your suggestions and report back.

I was going to scan it again today and see the new codes. I called the dealership and he mentioned the PCV was under warranty, but also mentioned if that wasn't related to the CEL i would be paying $100 diagnostic. He also scheduled me for a $160 oil change stating they would use synthetic oil. Yikes.
Find a new dealership. That's ridiculous. Mine charges anywhere from $59-79 for an oil change depending on specials. And I get a car wash and vacuum too.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

I took to the dealership to do a diagnostics before I went in to do a timing belt change this weekend. They told me the gas cap was bad because it was aftermarket, and they don't seal as well as the Audi one does so the P0455 was still present, and the coolant code was thermostat. I received my timing belt kit from DBC tuning. I need to give a lot of credit to Berk for his outstanding customer service by the way. I received all of my items within 3 days and they had awesome communication. I recommend them to anyone in this forum.

Through this process, I followed Phil's DIY (thanks a lot Fly!). I pulled everything apart on Friday evening, and started changing things out today. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, rollers, tensioner, camshaft seal and both belts. I could not remove the crankshaft timing gear though. I hit it with a 1/2" impac wrench and it would not budge. Do any of you have any advice so that I can replace that seal also? I'd hate to get everything back together only to have the small leak still going on, and then having to worry if it was from that seal. It is very difficult to say where the leak is, as all behind the timing belt cover was moist, with more build up towards the bottom perhaps from rule of gravity.

I plan on putting everything back together in the am unless someone has an idea of how to remove that bolt for me to get to the crankshaft seal.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
Find a new dealership. That's ridiculous. Mine charges anywhere from $59-79 for an oil change depending on specials. And I get a car wash and vacuum too.
Yeah I wasn't paying that. I paid $50 for 5qts of synthetic and a filter through DBC Tuning. I paid the $100 diagnostic fee to feel them out as a dealership. I doubt I'll be going back anytime soon.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Give me your VIN i'll see the proper procedure and tell you what to do.

Quick Reply: Intro - Help?!